Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

WHITE BEAR aka TURNER (1780-1844)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

Re: WHITE BEAR aka TURNER (1780-1844)

Post by gnstill » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:19 pm

Pam: First check this out:
JAMES ALFRED McLENNAN (1876-1958)

Then check the postings and post a qeriy under that topic. Perhaps Cathy will have some more information.

At this time I am uncertain myself as to the origins of John James BEAR.
Gary

Carmen

Post by Carmen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:51 pm

Hi Gary,

While searching the 1870 Manitoba Census, I discovered a Thomas Bear, born about 1810, who lists his father as Wapask. His wife is Isabel Beardy, born about 1820. Their children are: Isabel, born 1842; Sophie, born 1847; Peter, born 1852; and Mary, born 1858.

Carmen

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi Carmen: I found the same record in Sprague & Frye for Thomas BEAR, ID-195.

In Table 1 it indicates he had two wives, 1) Isabel (b-1820) with no surname and 2) Nelly Indian (b-1815). Table 4 for ID-195 re 1870 lists the same children as you mentioned, but in that listing doesn’t name the parents. Where did you find an 1870 record mentioning WAPASK and BEARDY?

Carmen

Post by Carmen » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:47 pm

Hi Gary,

You can search the 1870 Manitoba Census on the Library and Archives Canada website. For some reason it only worked for me when I entered the surname of Bear. It would not work when I entered the given name of Thomas. Here is the link:

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/18 ... 985482.jpg

Also, I found a Thomas Bear who died in 1892 at the age of 84 years, listed on the Manitoba Vital Statistics website. I will order a copy of it to see if it contains any additional information about his family, as I assume that this is the same Thomas. If there is anything of interest there I will be sure to let you know.

Carmen

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:05 am

Thanks very much Carmen: I always thought Thomas was a child, and that is validation. I have updated the WHITE BEAR Page accordingly.

EveApp

Post by EveApp » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:47 pm

Hello,
I have just recently started to investigate my ancestry and the search into my mother's line has brought me here to White Bear and his daughter Mary. If all is correct it seems that my ggg grandparents were William Tate (Tait) and Mary Bear. Their daughter Matilda Tate married James Irwin. They had a daughter Matilda Ann Irwin who married Richard Farrell and had my grandmother Cecilia Farrell. She married Joseph Craddock and voila! my mother Doreen Mae Craddock was born.
I know virtually nothing about my family's past history, where they lived or stories about their lives. The story about White Bear and the family travelling to visit Mary because they missed her so much was heartwarming. Does anyone have more information about this line of families and their lives? I would love to hear about them and any photos. Does anyone have a picture of White Bear? Thanks so much.
Cheers,
~Evelyn

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:08 am

Hi Evelyn; welcome aboard!

I do have lots of information about your TATE and IRWIN ancestors, including your lineage down to the CRADDOCK families.

These are all very interesting families with ties to countless people who I already have Special Family Pages for. However, I have been so busy lately doing Narratives and biographies that I have had to set priorities for myself, and it could be a long time before I get around to working on these particular lineages.
** MORE ABOUT SPECIAL FAMILY PAGES

EveApp

Post by EveApp » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:20 pm

That's fantastic! I would love to learn more. I'm sure there is so much to do for you. Isn't it fascinating! Thanks!
Cheers,
~Evelyn

Kennedy/Thomas

Post by Kennedy/Thomas » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:29 am

The Bear Clan AKA Ministry Responsible for Communications and Healing(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anishinaabe_clan_system)

1871 Treaty One is signed and thereafter the only known/connected Kennedy's to the St. Peters Reserve are the Kennedy's in my family tree - there are also no known living family members of the Captain William Kennedy line today. It is noted on the Bear Clan(family) page of this website(http://www.redriverancestry.ca/BEAR-WHITE-1780.php) that the Bear family tree that traces its roots back to the St. Peters Reserve - all of the branches are related to Chief White Bear. This family page also proves the Bear, Kennedy and Sutherland mixed-genes-families all knew of each other by way of sustained inter-generational intermarriage. In my opinion, this is a family page where the Bear Clan members culminate for a rare gathering.

After 1871 and Treaty One, St. Peters is quickly divided into two separate Cree and Saulteaux groups living on different parts of the Reserve - these groups are not totally absent of each others genes; namely Cree or Saulteaux genes. Not only did the first Kennedy's from Scotland to be involved in the fur trade in Manitoba became familiar with the Saulteaux but they also were associated with the surname Bear and Sutherland ie. Alexander Kennedy worked in Cumberland House as did the Sutherlands. The Sutherlands, more than one family line but all from Scotland worked around York House(Swampy Cree Territory). Between the Kennedy's(Saulteaux connections) and the Sutherlands(Cree Connections) these men or their male relatives who came with them from Scotland had children who practiced intermarriage for generations to come and their combined genes made it at least 4 generations further into the future. I would suggest that the clan system be used to assess why the term Anishinaabe has been developed and used by these descendants who have Cree and Ojibwa genes/same names in their family trees after all these years; roughly 1775-2015

Alexander Kennedy replaced James Sutherland at Cumberland House in 1803 where there were Saulteaux people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saulteaux# ... _Saulteaux ----- The aforementioned link shows Saulteaux in the Cumberland district where Sutherland and Kennedy worked. Alexander Kennedy married a Bear(Aggatha) and Donald Sutherland who worked at a Fort nearby Cumberland, Red Deer River, married Sally Wipisk(White Bear). There are numerous sub-clans if you will that show a solid connection between these mixed-genes-families.

Other surnames that prove continuity of these Bear Clan families across generations in Manitoba are contained in family pages of this website which are: Dennet, McKenzie and Faval. The next level of surnames connected would be: Cochranes, Stevensons, Sandersons, Andersons, Cooks and Sinclairs.

Not to mention that I have genetic matches in my family tree with surnames Kennedy and Sutherland respectively up to 5 generations removed who claim to also have Cree and Ojibwa ancestors from both sides of the Manitobe/North Dakota border and vicinity.

Mitakuye Oyasin(All My Relations!)