Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

CLEMONS FAMILIES of RED RIVER

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
Shirley Frank

Re: CLEMONS FAMILIES of RED RIVER

Post by Shirley Frank » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:24 pm

Luke and Nancy were my great grandparents. It is not mentioned here that they also had a daughter named Nora who was born in the 1920's. Nora is my Dad's mom and my Dad shared quite a few stories with me about my Grandpa Luke. He also told me how my Great-Grandpa was going to The Pas because he was sick. It isn't known how he passed on however, my Dad did tell me that everyone thought he was sleeping on the train and someone noticed that he didn't move from his position once and that is how they came to realize that he had passed on.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks Shirley: I’d like to add your grandmother Nora to the page for Luke, but I need some more details. When and where was she born and who did she marry? Is Shirley FRANK your maiden name?
Also, do you know more about Nancy SINCLAIR? When and where was she born and who were her parents?

Shirley Frank

Post by Shirley Frank » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:24 pm

It isn't known where my Granny Nora was born as my Great-Grandpa Luke and Great-Granny Nancy travelled around the North quite a bit before settling in Pikwitonei. They lived in York Factory, Natonan (sp), and Selkirk for a short while.

My Granny Nora was approximately 16 years old when she married my grandfather Sandy Dick (Frank). My Granny Nora passed on at the age of 32 on March 8 while giving birth to her Son. Unfortunately, her son only lived for a few months and he died of pneumonia shorlty before Christmas. In total, my grandparents, Nora and Sandy, had 9 children. Four of their children are still here. Three are living in Thompson and the other is living in Norway House in a personal care home

My Grandpa Sandy's Dad (last name Frank) drowned when my Grandpa Sandy was approximately 2 years old. Sandy's Grandpa, (Sandy's Mom's Dad) Robert Dick, ended up taking him in until he was 5 years old and was sent to residential school. When he married my Granny Nora, they kept the last name Dick and the last name was also carried on to their children. My Grandfather, Sandy's legal last name was Frank. When I found out this piece of our family history, I changed my last name from Dick to Frank and my parents and most of my siblings changed their last name to Frank as well. My Dad is an identical twin and he changed his last name to Frank and his twin kept the last name Dick.

My Great Granny Nancy's maiden name was Sinclair. Unfortunately, my Dad cannot remember his Great Grandparent's names as he only referred to them as Granny and Grandpa.

My Grand uncle Lafoy still lives in Thompson. Unfortunately, his wife, Helen, passed away a few years ago. Our uncle Lafoy shared quite a bit of our family history with us. He has a few pictures of my Grandpa Luke and his Dad. He also had pictures of my Great Granny, Nancy's mom. My Grand uncle Gordon lives in Thicket Portage and is still married to his wife Josephine.

jstw

Post by jstw » Mon May 01, 2017 12:47 pm

Gary,
Just started my genealogy search in March 1017 and through ancestry DNA testing and connecting with "DNA cousins" have pinpointed my mother's family to Edward Ralph Clemons' children.
My mother, Olive Rose, said she was born in Selkirk, Manitoba on September 1, 1921.
Just before she died in 1990, she told my oldest sister that she was raised in the foster home of Samuel and Ann Catherine (nee Orvis) Connolly in Selkirk. She said she remembers her mom coming to visit her when she was very young. After high school, she moved to Winnipeg to live with her foster sister, Edith May (Connolly) Duxbury. My father said that was all he knew.
After he died in 2012, the only records we found of our mother was her Confirmation certificate of Feb 9, 1941 and her Wedding certificate of Jan 23, 1943.
She may have been adopted by the Connollys. The Connolly home was at 474 McLean Ave in 1911 and 445 Vaughan Ave in 1921, Selkirk.

Your website is excellent. Wondering if you have any information relating to my mother.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon May 01, 2017 7:11 pm

Janet: I have some information about the CONNOLLY families and lots of CLEMONS info.
What was your mother’s maiden name?
When was your Edward Ralph CLEMONS born, and what was your mother’s relationship to him?

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu May 04, 2017 3:33 pm

Janet: New Family Page for your Great Grandparents:
JOHN STEPHEN CONNOLLY (1838-1905)
I look forward to your comments under that Topic.

jstw

Post by jstw » Thu May 04, 2017 4:17 pm

My mother's name was Olive Rose Connolly. Her foster or adopted parents were Samuel Connolly and Ann Catherine (Orvis) Connolly.

Through ancestry.ca DNA tests I connected with a 1st cousin from the Hancock family whose grandparents were Edward Ralph Clemons born Feb 20, 1874 and Mary Elizabeth Sinclair born Jun 9, 1881. I also connected with a 2nd cousin from the Bruyere family whose great grandparents were Edward and Mary Clemons. If the DNA testing is correct my mother's mother would have been one of Edward and Mary's daughters.

My DNA has also been linked to Peter Napoleon Smith born Oct 7, 1910 son of Samuel Benjamin Smith born Dec 18, 1867.

Since my mother was born in Selkirk in 1921 and raised there until 1939 I was interested if there were any records of her in the elementary or high schools during that time.