Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JAMES SHAND (1890-1956)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

JAMES SHAND (1890-1956)

Post by gnstill » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:09 pm

I have done a few updates on the Family Page for James SHAND; Link: JAMES SHAND (1890-1856)

We are fortunate to have a new visitor to the Forum (user name: Kennedy/Thomas) who appears to have done a lot of research on the KENNEDY, THOMAS and SEYMOUR families. It so happens that his grandmother, Isabelle (nee KENNEDY) HARDER (b-1921) remembered Winnie SHAND and her baby (Yvonne) when she and Winnie were both teenagers at Manigotagan.

Kennedy/Thomas says: “I think that my grandma is the one who took care of Yvonne until social services found out how confused the family tree was and took her into custody. My grandma hated to lose a child to the government after seeing what can happen in residential school. This is why I think that John George KENNEDY born 1870 had a sister Margaret born like 1874/5 and she was Agnes's mom unless Alex Jr.'s daughter Mary had Agnes.”

See the postings of Kennedy/Thomas under the following Topics

Topic: Agnes KENNEDY and Rachel THOMAS
Topic: John STEVENSON

However, please post discussions about Winnie and the children of Jim SHAND hereunder. We are dealing with so many different families in all of this, to avoid confusion it is best to deal with each family separately, one at a time, under separate Topics.

Kennedy/Thomas

Re: JAMES SHAND (1890-1956)

Post by Kennedy/Thomas » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:33 pm

In 1917 at Selkirk Agnes/Matilda Kennedy married Wallace Mayo. The family had at least 3 boys named Chucky, Buddy and Bruce in an unknown order. They were a Selkirk family but were known in Winnipeg. The Kennedy family has been estranged from the Mayo’s for the most part since around the 1980’s. Agnes/Matilda’s father John George Kennedy(dob 1870) was married to Juliet Kennedy(dob 1876). It is still unclear what happened to Juliet Thomas although it is now known that she and John George did not stay together forever. Their last recorded child Roderick born in 1901 and on the census for the same year was known to have had half-brothers from his father John George Kennedy. There were at least two half-brothers named Gilbert and Charlie. Charlie had a son named Aaron. John George had Gilbert and Charlie with a Mrs. Mead or Meade. Basically Isabelle Simard/Seymour’s uncles from the remarriage were Gilbert and Charlie making Charlie’s son Aaron a cousin. Charlie and Gilbert were Agnes/Matilda’s half-brothers and uncles to Wallace Mayo’s children Chucky, Buddy and Bruce. As the story goes Bruce was observed in Winnipeg with the Mayo’s around 1960. At the very least he was known to the Kennedy/Thomas family in general. Seeing as John George and Juliet Kennedy disappeared off the census records est. at 1906, the divorce is presumed finalized by this time.

James Shand, after having been introduced to Wallace Mayo’s sister Eleanor through Agnes/Matilda Kennedy became the father to children George, James Jr. and others. Apart from James’s other two children Raymond and Winnie, James was family whether out of wedlock or official marriage. James was family on the Thomas front because he married a Rachel Thomas related Juliet Thomas who was Agnes/Matilda’s mother and on the Mayo front from his kids with Eleanor Mayo. Winnie and James were never known to Isabelle Simard/Seymour’s own family because they were deceased by the time Isabelle’s kids could be expected to remember them clearly. There are some vague notes from one of Isabelle’s older children describing a Winnie and James but it is not ascertainable what the notes meant at this point in time.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:14 pm

Actually, John George KENNEDY had two more children after Roderick. These were Millie born Dec 5, 1904 and Maggie born around the same time. JG was recorded in the Census of 1906 at St Peters, Dynevor with six children: Margaret (age 13); Agnes (12); Mary (6); Millie (5); Rod (4) and Maggie (age 2). Living next-door at that time was his brother Alex KENNEDY.

I can see a need to post a family page for John George, so we can avoid a lot of confusion. I will try to compose a page over the next day of so with all the info that I have and we can focus on him better.

Kennedy/Thomas

Post by Kennedy/Thomas » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:45 pm

Sounds great. I think we can connect here and fill in some blanks for the one and only John George Kennedy. He has quite the following on our side. As far as I know his mother, a Dennet, has roots that go as far back as Scotland and somebody had the paperwork done on it.

As for Millie and Maggie who were recorded as children living with him in Dynevor I have my doubts that completely accurate information exists on them for their entire lives. I think it's safe to to say that Maggie's older sister Margaret went by Maggie too because it is unlikely that Maggie born around 1904 got married to Charles Simard/Seymour in 1910 and moved in this him.

I have some people who are looking into the John George mystery. I will say though that they believe he did float around in Saskatchewan. An interview with an Alfred Thomas on the University of Regina website mentions a Maggie and Charles Kennedy. It is so difficult to differentiate between all these ancestors distinctively. Mary Mary had a little lamb hahaha.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:32 pm

I have just posted a new Family page for our John George. Here's the Link: JOHN GEORGE KENNEDY b-1870

I have also created a new Forum Topic specifically for that family. Look forward to further discussions there.

cterrio

Post by cterrio » Wed May 01, 2013 1:26 am

Once again you are using a photo of my grandfather, James Shand. You somehow found, took and copied this photo from my family tree website at Ancestry.com and have used it without permission, that is tantamount to theft. You were asked before to remove it and never paste it here or elsewhere again. I am now demanding that you again remove it and never use it again. If you do not comply, I will find the means to shut this website down. You have no right to be using personal family photos, especially those taken with out permission.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed May 01, 2013 5:48 am

Cliff: I thought I had removed all references, pictures and discussions referring to the TERRIO family already. I actually got the Jim SHAND picture from my sister-in-law, Yvonne SHAND and not from any website. He is also her grandfather. However, since it is such an obsessive aberration to you, I will remove it.

I must say that I find it difficult to comprehend your bitterness about all of this. What is wrong with you?

cterrio

Post by cterrio » Mon May 06, 2013 11:07 pm

Tell you what Gary, when you can post an original, 'uncropped' photograph of my mother's Father (aka my grandfather), then you can say that you have your own photo and use it.

I think you know full well what my issue is with you - taking the photograph that was on my private ancestry.com website and using it with out approaching me or my immediate family for permission. As you know, this was not the only photograph that you took. That aside, now you come off trying to make it sound as if this was a photo you had - baloney.

Post the uncropped original then, because the one you post was IDENTICAL to the one I have and cropped for private use on my ancestry.com page.

I was quite polite about this matter the first time when I discovered what you had done and now to find that you are back at it (so to speak), how do you think I and my family should feel? Your actions have disrespected my mother's wishes, you've taken private family photos and put them on this forum and one of mine that you took, you didn't even have the people identified correctly (thank God for that). That plus some of the other "information" that you have posted about the Shand family is incorrect and questionable, yet you and your website are passing it off as "history".

Bottom line, I, my sister or my Mother do not have to justify to you our wishes for privacy. I would think that that respect just comes naturally and if any of us wanted the World to know our business, we'd announce it.

Thank you.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue May 07, 2013 7:45 am

To Cliff: My sister-in-law who had a copy of your photo is unfortunately far away and I only visit her a few times a year. It was several years ago that I got a scanned version of it from her. I often crop these images and do graphical enhancements and restoration in order to fit them onto pages. She couldn’t recall where she got it (perhaps from one of her cousins), and had I known you were the photographer I would have certainly noted that. In any case, as you see the photo has been removed as well as any mention of the TERRIO family so that should be the end of your grief regarding those issues.

I have already previously apologized to you and do so again, sincerely. I admit that I do get carried away with my hobby and sometimes I don’t realize that I am mentioning living people who would prefer to remain anonymous. I will try to be more diligent in future. Regrettably, what more can I do?

If you browse the various related Forum Topics and Family Pages, you will see that most people are keenly interested in the truth about their ancestry and enjoy and appreciate stories about their forefathers. I, like many other genealogy enthusiasts often share whatever information we have in order to stimulate discussion and get at the truth regarding various uncertainties. That is one of the main purposes of this Forum. If you see specific details that can be proven to be inaccurate, please point them out. I am frequently doing updates to the various pages when new information is revealed.

terrancebecht

Post by terrancebecht » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:49 pm

If the administrator of this site would like a photo of James Hamilton Shand, I have one that was the property of my grandmother Virginia Shand Becht --she was James H. Shand's niece. I also have a photo with James, his wife Eleanor and his children, also from the collection of my grandmother which I inherited. I have photos of all four of Thomas David and Agnes M. Shand's sons. My grandmother visited her "Uncle Jim" and her cousins a few times when she was in her twenties and she had a reunion with them when her father Thomas Percy Shand died in 1953. I met James Shand Jr. and his wife June in 1993 when they passed through Seattle (where I still live) and I corresponded a few times with Richard P. Shand of Winnepeg, Douglas B. Shand of Nova Scotia, Charlie Shand of Pointe Du Bois and with Caroline Ketola. I see that someone is very sensitive about family photos being posted on this site, I would like to dialog about that, but I feel I have the perfect right to publish my own photographs.
I would love to contact any cousins I might have on this site.
Peace,
Terrance Becht