Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JAMES SHAND (1890-1956)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
terrancebecht

Re: JAMES SHAND (1890-1956)

Post by terrancebecht » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:01 am

I can help fill out the history of the Shand family. James Hamilton Shand had three brothers, one of whom was my great grandfather Thomas Percy Shand, so, if the person behind the previous posts (cterrio) has any objections, sorry, I have the proper right and the family connection to do so. My grandmother spoke often and fondly of her Canadian cousins --especially her uncle Jim, who she named her oldest son (my uncle Jim Becht) after because of the uncanny family resemblance.
James had eight children, two by a first wife named Rachel Thomas: Raymond and Winnie and six from a second marriage to Eleanor Mayo: Caroline, George, James Oliver, Clifford, Charles Dawson and Coreen. In the past I corresponded with Caroline, Jim, and Charlie, as well as Raymond's son Richard Philip Shand. I also have the recollections of my grandmother Virginia Bernadeen Becht (nee Shand).
I know that some of the descendants of James Hamilton Shand and Eleanor Mayo dispute the legitimacy of Raymond and Winnie, but the recorded history is clear, and when I met with James Oliver Shand in the fall of 1993 he personally confirmed the truth.
I would be happy to help this website in any way I can, and I am eager to connect with all of my cousins. I am writing a family history and a biography of my grandmother and I would love to include her Canadian heritage.
Peace,
Terrance Becht
Seattle, WA.

PLiss

Re: JAMES SHAND (1890-1956)

Post by PLiss » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:56 am

Hello
My name is Pat Liss. I am from Flin Flon, Manitoba. In the spring of 1949 a man named James Oliver Shand was on a fishing trip with my uncle and 3 other men on Phantom Lake, just outside of Flin Flon. He was on shore when he saw my uncle and another man had fallen in to the water from their boat. My uncle had actually jumped into the water to save his boat-mate but both men began to flounder in the cold water. James Shand swam out to them from the shore with a board but was only able to save on man. My uncle drowned.

I only found out many years later that following the incident my Uncle Vlad and James Oliver Shand had both been nominated for a Royal Canadian Humane Association certificate for "heroic action and presence of mind in the rescue of Albert D. Pogue from drowning". When i contacted the association they still had the information on record and for a small sum were able to send me the certificate, which i reproduced and was able to give to my aunt's and uncles as a form of closure for them.

I have from time to time over the years since then tried to locate James Shand, or his family, but until coming across this website had begun to think my efforts would be fruitless. I'm wondering now if my search is over.