Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

Benjamin Lyon, Ezekiel Solomon and the Consortium of 1756

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
Batjac1

Benjamin Lyon, Ezekiel Solomon and the Consortium of 1756

Post by Batjac1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:24 am

I have been researching this group that also included Levi Solomon, Chapman Abrahams and Gershon Levy for about 5 years now. They are possibly all related. My interest is that they may also be related to Levy Hart and Jonas Solomon of Monmouth County, New Jersey. Levy Hart and Jonas Solomon applied for naturalization in New York City on 2 Feb 1756 along with Benjamin Lyon and Gershon Levy. Levi Solomon and Chapman Abrahams were granted naturalization on 3 May 1755 in New York City.

I would like to find out if anyone here has attempted to uncover the origins of this group of Montreal based fur traders and compare any notes.

It would appear that Benjamin Lyon arrived in New York in 1755 along with the well know Jewish copper/iron manufacturer Uriah Hendricks.

Any additional clues (no matter how small) are appreciated

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: Benjamin Lyon, Ezekiel Solomon and the Consortium of 175

Post by gnstill » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:12 pm

An important source of much of my own information came from the following aricle about Ezekiel SOLOMON. Here's the Link:
EZEKIEL SOLOMON

Give that a read to begin with, and if you have further questions, let me know.
Regards,
Gary

Batjac1

Post by Batjac1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks!

I have the 1735 birthdate and the Berlin location. Levi Solomon is his supposed cousin as you probably know.

Jonas Solomon of New Jersey is believed to be a brother or cousin of either Ezekiel and Levi Solomon for a lot of reasons.

There is also a wealthy Nathan Solomon in London who is connected to Jonas Solomon through Levy Hart.

As you can see I am knee deep in the 1750's - It is Levy Hart's ancestry I am really after, I have him tied to this fur trading consortium which originally started in New York City.

There are indications that all five members were related.

The lack of records and my limited knowledge of colonial Jewish genealogy have made this a real challenge.

Thanks again.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:29 pm