Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JEREMIAH COOK (1804-1872)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

JEREMIAH COOK (1804-1872)

Post by gnstill » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:56 am

New Family Page: JEREMIAH COOK (1804-1872)

Please post comments and queries about the JEREMIAH COOK FAMILY here.

Wayne Jones

Re: JEREMIAH COOK (1804-1872)

Post by Wayne Jones » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:27 pm

You write :

"Jeremiah “Jerry” COOK was born around 1804 at Split Lake, son of an Indian woman named KAHNAPAWAMAKAN and William Hemmings COOK (1768-1846), a Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC) fur trader from England who was in charge of all of the Company posts in the Nelson River District, inland from York Factory."

Under his brother Samuel Cook also born around 1804 you indicate that he was also the son of an Indian woman named Kahnapawamakan.

However, in William Hemmings Cook's file you write:

Second Wife – KE-CHE-COW-E-COM-E-COOT (Betsy) COCKING
William COOK’s second wife was KE-CHE-COW-E-COM-E-COOT (Betsy, Agatha) COCKING, daughter of A-PIS-TA-SQUA-SHISH, third wife of Englishman Matthew COCKING (1743-1799). At least Samuel, Jeremiah and Charles were her children.

1) William Hemmings wife, KE-CHE-COW-E-COM-E-COOT, was not the daughter of A-PIS-TA-SQUA-SHISH. The codicil to Mathew Cockings will states that her mother was Le-lo-es-com.

2) KE-CHE-COW-E-COM-E-COOT (Betsy) COCKING and her daughter were living with William Hemmings Cook after 1801 when Betsy's first husband returned to England with her other two children. Samuel and Jeremiah were born during this time.

3) "Miles MACDONELL would later write an observations regarding the exploitation of Native women (Donna Sutherland - Manitoba Archives, Selkirk Papers) “They [HBC men] have almost uniformly taken up with Indian women. Some have a plurality & even to these their cupidity is not always confined. The present chief at York Factory [Wm COOK] has three wives by whom he has numerous issue. One he has discarded for being old [KAHNAPAWANAKAN], the other two are younger and live with him at the Factory. It is not surprising that the young subordinate officers should follow the example sets by their more elderly superiors.”

4) This quote indicates that WH Cook was not having children with KAHNAPAWANAKAN at this time. So she should not be listed as Samuel and Jeremiah's mother. KE-CHE-COW-E-COM-E-COOT was the "half-caste" or half breed mother of Samuel and Jeremiah.

5) Jeremiah was baptized June 8, 1823. The church record indicates that he was the son of William Hemmings Cook and a Half-caste woman. KAHNAPAWANAKAN was a native woman and so was not their mother. They did not put Indian names in the church registries.

Please correct Samuel and Jeremiah's files.

Wayne

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:01 pm

I must say I’m feeling more and more like Bud Abbott & Lou Costello regarding ‘Whose on First’ regarding these COOK wives!!

I am totally confused at this point. I’ve tried to re-word the narratives according to your comments, but I’m not sure if I got things right even yet.

If you could suggest better ways to phrase these relationships on the various Pages, I would be most grateful if you would do so.
Thanks, Gary

Wayne Jones

Post by Wayne Jones » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:43 pm

Lots of fun. We are getting closer.

You wrote:

Jeremiah “Jerry” COOK was born around 1804 at Split Lake, son of an Indian woman and William Hemmings COOK (1768-1846), a Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC) fur trader from England who was in charge of all of the Company posts in the Nelson River District, inland from York Factory.

Samuel Cook has a similar note.

As I explained:

Samuel and Jeremiah were not the sons of "an Indian woman."

I sent you by personal email a copy of his baptismal certificate and it says that his mother was a "half-caste" or half breed woman.

My research indicates that she was William Hemmings second wife, Mathew Cockings half breed daughter, KE-CHE-COW-E-COM-E-COOT (Betsy) I can send you more info on her life and 3 husbands if you like.

I would suggest that your text should probably read for both Samuel and Jeremiah:

Jeremiah “Jerry” COOK was born around 1804 at Split Lake, son of a half breed woman named KE-CHE-COW-E-COM-E-COOT, a daughter of Matthew Cocking. His father was William Hemmings COOK (1768-1846), a Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC) fur trader from England who was in charge of all of the Company posts in the Nelson River District, inland from York Factory.

Don't give up on me yet we are just getting warmed up.
Last edited by Wayne Jones on Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rossm

Post by rossm » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:59 am

Wayne:
I'm even more confused than Gary, exept I'm reminded of the old saying..."what you thought you heard is not what I meant to say.".
Should the line in your correction that reads "Jeremiah “Jerry” COOK was born around 1804 at Split Lake, son of a half breed woman named KE-CHE-COW-E-COM-E-COOT, a daughter of Matthew Cocking. Her father was William Hemmings COOK ...etc." perhaps read in part "HIS (meaning Jerry's) father was William Hemmings COOK ...etc." ? Or am I even more confused as always.
rossm

Wayne Jones

Post by Wayne Jones » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:36 pm

rossm wrote:Wayne:
I'm even more confused than Gary, exept I'm reminded of the old saying..."what you thought you heard is not what I meant to say.".
Should the line in your correction that reads "Jeremiah “Jerry” COOK was born around 1804 at Split Lake, son of a half breed woman named KE-CHE-COW-E-COM-E-COOT, a daughter of Matthew Cocking. Her father was William Hemmings COOK ...etc." perhaps read in part "HIS (meaning Jerry's) father was William Hemmings COOK ...etc." ? Or am I even more confused as always.
rossm
Sorry about that.. Obviously Jerry's father was WH Cook.

Sorry Gary you will need to change "her father" to "his father"
Didn't mean to give you a "hernia"

Wayne