Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JAMES McKAY (1797-1887)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

JAMES McKAY (1797-1887)

Post by gnstill » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:31 pm

New Family Page: JAMES McKAY (1797-1887)

Please post comments and queries about this JAMES McKAY and his DESCENDANTS here.

stritzel

Re: JAMES McKAY (1797-1887)

Post by stritzel » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:35 pm

Does anyone know if the birthplace of James McKay (b. 1797) father of Angus was Farr, Scotland in the north of Scotland or Farr Mains near Inverness?
I believe my family descends from him. Thanks, Jim Stritzel

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:58 pm

Welcome to the Forum Jim! So far all I have is Farr, Scotland (wasn’t aware that there was more than one place by that name).
Tell us more about your lineage down from McKay.
May be able to help you. I have lots of information about McKay descendants.

stritzel

Post by stritzel » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:04 am

gnstill wrote:Welcome to the Forum Jim! So far all I have is Farr, Scotland (wasn’t aware that there was more than one place by that name).
Tell us more about your lineage down from McKay.
May be able to help you. I have lots of information about McKay descendants.
Thanks for the reply and offer of help!
Will respond in detail about lineage from Angus McKay after today's American Thanksgiving.
Jim

stritzel

Post by stritzel » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:07 am

In answer to your kind offer of help and request to outline descent down from James McKay we do not have a proven paper trail.
But have family oral history and DNA leads.

I don't think you want this forum to about one family's lengthy details of oral history and DNA. So, here is a short synopsis. Our Grandmother Eunice died while most of her children were quite young. No proven last name for Eunice (perhaps Shoin / Choin). Per family oral history she was born abt 1897 and sent from Manitoba to a Springfield, MA. distant relative to be raised.

Our oral history also states we are Metis with Cree/Ojibwa and Mohawk. I have early memories of family gatherings with fiddle music/ jigging/ broom dancing. At those gatherings stories were told of how we descend from Rolette family in ND/Manitoba. My brother and I in our younger adult days looked extremely like portrait and photo of Joseph (Jolly Joe) Rolette.

Lacking a paper trail I turned to DNA. Myself/siblings/and cousins match an individual with claimed descent from Anna Rolette daughter of Joseph and Angelique. DNA also links us to McKay in Farr, Scotland. Looking at where Joseph/Angelique Rolette line cross with McKay line leads to Angus McKay/Virginia Rolette/Berens River, Manitoba.

We believe one of Angus McKay/Virginia Rolette's children or Grandchildren is parent of our Grandmother Eunice. As the Elder of my generation I am trying to find and pass on knowledge of Family and Metis Heritage. Promised my Mother Kathleen just before she passed on to find Grandmother Eunice once again completing our Family Circle.

In your knowledge of the McKay's do you have any information on Metis (especially McKay/Rolette) children being sent to NY/MA in late 1800's? As times were very harsh for Metis then one can see how that occurred. Finding Grandmother Eunice would also be fighting back against those forces causing the harsh conditions and who tried to break up Metis families and erase family memories.

Thanks for helping, Jim Stritzel & Extended Family

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:51 am

Perhaps you missed this link at the bottom of the JAMES McKAY Page:
ANGUS McKAY (1835-1910)
I look forward to further discussions under that Forum Topic.

Regarding the family of Angelique JEROME dit ST MATHE and JOSEPH ROLETTE (1820-1871), parents of Virginia ROLETTE who married Angus McKAY:
I have lots of information about this family, but it isn’t on my Priority List for creating Family Pages at this time. More about that at this link:
SPECIAL FAMILY PAGES

bthor

Post by bthor » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:48 pm

Hi Gary,
I just received this message on Ancestry.ca about Hon. James McKay (1827-1879)

"James McKay

Hi, I am the family biographer for some descendants of James McKay here in Washington State. It is my late best friend's family. At least, I am almost entirely certain they are descendants of James McKay from your family album. Before he married Marguerite Rowland, he spent years travelling the fur trade routes, was quite well known and accomplished as a guide. During this time, I believe he had a country marriage with a Klickatat woman named Sapati Kahi, during the years he travelled back and forth from Fort Vancouver. There is a record of him in the 1850 Washington Territorial Census at Fort Vancouver, in a shared dwelling with a long time friend of the McKay family from Red River District, William McDonald. I have done extensive research, and based on all currently available evidence, he is the only James McKay I see as being the possible James McKay ancestor for the Pearne family. Sapati Kahi was the daughter of Klickitat Chief Yakotowit (sometimes spelled Yahotowit, Yokatowit), himself believed to be the grandson of Tecumseh of the Shawnee. (Tecumseh had a son who travelled west, and Sapati Kahi had a brother named Tecumseh Yakatowit, hereditary chief after his father, who, in an interview with Lucullus Virgil McWhorter sometime in the late 1800s, related that he was named after his great grandfather, a great war chief from the east who had died in King George's War. As there was only one such Tecumseh of that time, name and circumstance, it is believed Yakotowit was the grandson of Tecumseh.) Where was I? I am always on the lookout for further information about James McKay and his time working the fur trade routes, before he married and had his family in Canada. Sapati Kahi had four children with James McKay, born roughly between the years of 1850-1855, all in and around Fort Vancouver. After that, James McKay left and never returned. But, this was not so unusual, part of the customs of both the tribe and the fur trade. If you have any further information you're willing to share, or thoughts on this, I would be grateful for your help. Thank you, Sharla Laurin for family and in memory of: Lester Pearne Robbins, 1921-2014, Yakama son of Frederick Robbins, son of Flora Pearne and Thomas Robbins daughter of Thomas Pearne and Kate McKay daughter of Sapati Kahi and James McKay"

Beth

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:26 am

Hi Beth: It seems unlikely to me that this would be James McKAY (1827-1879) who married Margaret ROWLAND (1825-1879).
This James attended the Red River Academy. In 1849 Bishop David ANDERSON (1814-1885) arrived at Red River and purchased the Red River Academy, and in 1852 he took “the youth (James) to be his helper and cook at Moose Factory”.
In 1857 this James joined the Palliser Expedition, and in 1859 he married Margaret ROWLAND.
I cannot find the 1850 Washington Territorial Census at Vancouver mentioned by Sharla.