Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

LOUIS SIMARD (1855-1920)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
angie bruce

Re: LOUIS SIMARD (1855-1920)

Post by angie bruce » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:00 pm

Hi,Im the greatgranddaughter of Louis.My grandparents are Wilfred n Matilda Seymour- Simard.I wanted to say Matilda Peterson,her father was Frank Peterson from Scanterbury. Matildas mom Esther Bear-Peterson,no findings on Esther.Also my grandpa s mom Flora Favell,no findings on her,just that she married Louis,then X. Spence.Your
help would be great on this subject.Sure enjoyed the info on Louis he seemed quit the man hehe.My grandma Matilda told me ,Louis had a money belt with gold in it,he went to Winnipeg n the gold was never seen again. So my gran told me we was rich once lol.

angie bruce

Post by angie bruce » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:44 am

I think i know why Louis sr was with Mrs St Germain.my greatgrandma Flora Favel was in Selkirk Ausylm,were she died.Sum say she was pushed out the window by another patient.So dont quote me ,what ive heard.

Kennedy/Thomas

Post by Kennedy/Thomas » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:59 pm

http://www.nosorigines.qc.ca/Genealogie ... id=1121355 ----- This is just one theory that may or may not be as accurate as the rest but I think that Louis Simard's(b. est. 1855) parents can be found at the aforementioned link.

The family story is that Louis Simard was a tobacco farmer and then a prospector(for resources in general) for the French 'in' Quebec City(Port Authority). The Chateau Richer area is a classical example of what farming families had to deal with when their lots became narrower and narrower as each new generation of males(used dit names like Nombrette, Lombrette, Guillmet) were granted a slice(thin) parcel of land stretching from the St. Lawrence right back to the end of the county line; driving the plow in one lane from start to end with no need to put the plow in gear on the way back because the lot was so narrow it would have been done in one drive out. And Chateau Richer is where Francois Simard and Eleanore Rheaume(Louis Simard's parentage) died - Francois first and Eleanore attended his funeral. Although I only guessed they were married without the marriage certificate to prove it, they were indeed from what it looks like. If you follow the lineages for Francois and Eleanore it is easy to see a pattern of every second generation at the most consistency having lots of children and then there would be a slowing of procreation. My guess is that this was for economical reasons and to try and make sure the lot of land initially granted to the families by the 'government' wouldn't be reduced to parcel strips so narrow a tractor couldn't squeeze in to plow the field.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2te ... er,_Quebec ----- The Rheaume and Simard families were both present in Chateau Richer as evidenced by the aforementioned link showing an image of the available farming land and lists both surnames in the past mayors list.

http://metis-history.info/french6.shtml -----source for quote----> "Father (I)-Joseph le Caron (1586-1632), Recollet and Father Jarney, Recollet, established a mission at Three Rivers as it was a historic trading post of the Natives. Father Caron then proceeded to Huron Country and wintered with the Tobacco Nation and adjoining tribes. The Huron village was called Carhagonha (Thunder Bay; later known as Toanche).
Also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petun
In the above links the surname Caron is associated with the Petun Nation/Tobacco Nation known for their ability to grow the tobacco plant and the surname Simard is associated with the surname Caron through geography and marriage. I know it is a stretch to believe all this, however it is logical enough to believe it is at least plausible.

Simard's were one of the first families to be granted land in Quebec, however from what I can tell they never elected to grow tobacco at first so maybe it was the Rheaume/Caron connection to the Simard's that lead Louis Simard(b. est. 1855) to take up the trade. As far as his involvement in the logging industry of early Manitoba and in the US while portaging logs down the rivers, well Louis married an Indian(Betsy Cochrane) and the Europeans quibbled over whether or not to keep Indians as workers in the industry or to teach them European languages and religion. With this he actually works with Kennedy's and other French to try and establish logging rights for Indians near Hollow Water until the government suddenly sketches out a reserve plan that excludes most of the area he originally intended to develop. And the rest is history lol.

mamabear

Post by mamabear » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:52 pm

In the WFP obit the children are the children of louis jr born 1882. The son louis in the obit is the same louis mentionned in the 1906 as his son, 5 yrs at the time.

Kristi

Post by Kristi » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:51 pm

I believe that the 5 year old mentioned is my great-grandfather. He died in 1982 and he was 81 years old!

Jodilogan

Post by Jodilogan » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:20 pm

Hilda simard or hilda morrisseau was my great grandmother I actually have a picture of flora flavell and louis simard at least that’s what granny said was her a picture of her parents. In the picture Louis is quite a bit older than flora. Hilda went on to have many children and grandchildren and great grandchildren granny used to say she had a nation. Granny had so much personality sounds like her dad did to.