Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

MICHAEL WAGNER (1826-?)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

MICHAEL WAGNER (1826-?)

Post by gnstill » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:04 pm

New Family Page: MICHAEL WAGNER (1826-?)

Please post comments and queries about the MICHAEL WAGNER FAMILY here.

cramd

Re: MICHAEL WAGNER (1826-?)

Post by cramd » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:17 am

Descendants of Michael Wagner as known to me include:
Mary Wagner about 1858
Tuvins Wagner about 1860
The Following information for the Michael Wagner family is from the 1880 U.S. Census, FHL Film 1254624, National Archives Film T9-0624, page 128B. Census information is for St.Vincent, Kittson County, Minnesota, date of 04 June 1880)
Annie Wagner about 1862
Margaret Wagner about 1864
Elizabeth Wagner about 1866
Charlotte Wagner about 1868
Joseph Wagner about 1874
Flora Wagner about 1875
Matilda Wagner about 1876
Michael Carl Wagner 28 July 1877-15 January 1967
The 11 children listed above all born in Manitoba.

Michael Carl (Mac) Wagner was my maternal grandmother's step father. He married Dagmar (Clausen) Holbeck, possibly in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and the date I have from Dagmar's relatives in Denmark is 22 December 1915. I have been unable to find any information online to confirm either the place or date of their marriage to date. They came to Canada in 1917 according to the 1921 Canada Census for Swift Current, Saskatchewan. I don't know if they moved to Saskatchewan immediately after moving to Canada, but they owned and operated a dairy farm near Swift Current from at least some time in 1920, until some time in 1944 when they moved to Trail in British Columbia.
Mac Wagner moved from Trail at some point after Dagmar died, and lived in a home in, and is buried in Vernon, British Columbia.

Michael Sr., Elizabeth and Annie Wagner are listed in the 1885 Minnesota State Census for St. Vincent Minnesota, but none of their other children are with them.

I have no further knowledge of any of the Wagner family other than what is listed above, and what my mother had told me before her death about her step-grandfather.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:00 pm

Dave: You say your maternal grandmother’s step-father was Michael (Mac) WAGNER, suggesting that you don’t have any actual biological WAGNER ancestors in Canada. Please tell us more about your biological parents and/or grandparents? It seems that they were all born elsewhere than in Canada.

cramd

Post by cramd » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:38 am

I actually do not have any biological Wagner ancestry, but I am interested in finding out as much as possible about them.

There is no blood relationship, but Mac Wagner was the only "grandfather" my mother ever knew (her paternal grandfather died when she was 3, maternal grandfather 20 years before she was born). Mac Wagner was quite likely the only "father" my grandmother knew as she was also only 3 when her real father died, and she was raised by an aunt and uncle for several years.

My father, and his parents, were all born in Yorkshire, my mother in Canada.

Maternal grandparents: my grandfather was born in Sweden, my grandmother in North Dakota. My grandmother's father was born in Minnesota but both of his parents were Danish. Her mother emigrated from Denmark to Minnesota, married Waltmar (Walter) Holbeck, and married Mac Wagner about 12 years after Walter's death.

I have been searching for as much information on Mac Wagner and his family as I could find, and found this website this week. Not much was known about Mac and his family background, just little bits here and there, one of those being that he was an uncle to the famous Bentley brothers of NHL fame. I don't believe there was much contact among the various Wagner siblings, but have no proof of that.

I have received help in my quest for family information from people all over Canada, the United States, as well as England,Sweden and Denmark and wanted to contribute what information I could here as a form of pay back to all the others who have contributed so much to me.

Jazzwoman55

Post by Jazzwoman55 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:13 pm

Hello cramd! I am Colleen Carr-Rodin, Great Granddaughter of Matilda Wagner, sister to Michael Carl Wagner. I live in Saskatoon.
My mother, Avis Bentley Carr and myself met with June Crampton about Michael Wagner being a step-father and step-grandfather to
your Crampton family. He was married to Dagmar, and all the kids called him Uncle Mac, or just Mac. I forget some of this story.
June gave us pictures of Mac and Dagmar, and the kids, and of the farm at Swift Current. I have them in my possession and would
be very glad to share all of them with you. and any of the information that I may have. Please feel free to email me at:
cma@sasktel.net
Colleen Carr-Rodin
435 Crean Lane
Saskatoon, Sk. S7J 3X3

I will be glad to give you my cell phone via email in private.

Thanks so much, I look forward to hearing from you. (:
Cheers, Colleen