Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

PATRICK PRUDEN (1842-1921)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

PATRICK PRUDEN (1842-1921)

Post by gnstill » Sun May 29, 2016 8:08 am

New Family Page: PATRICK PRUDEN (1842-1921)

Please post comments and queries about the PATRICK PRUDEN FAMILY here.

CStar

Re: PATRICK PRUDEN (1842-1921)

Post by CStar » Tue May 31, 2016 5:59 am

Hello! Thank you for this page. it is good to see this history available online. Patrick's son Frederick is my great grandfather. There are two items you seemed uncertain about, while I can't say definitively (no data to back my information), the Grandin that my family talks about is a small town north of Edmonton. While I am uncertain where he died, Patrick Pruden's grave is on the edge of the Beaver River, not far from Beaver Lake (near Lac La Biche). I don't recall a 'Hay River' in our area, but I will ask around. If I can find documentation to back this information I will try to provide it. Did you ever see the letter Patrick Pruden wrote for Metis in the Lac La Biche area that requested that their 'rights' be traded in for Scrip? I'm not sure if it was his handwriting, but he signed it. It was available online until recently, if I saved a copy I will try to provide it.

Patrick Pruden also appears in an account of a small skirmish in the LLB area related to the Red River Rebellion. He was custodian of the local HBC outpost when it was ransacked by a local group fueled by the rebellion. He was taken from his home and forced to unlock the outpost. If I can find it, I will also send that your way.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue May 31, 2016 9:10 am

Thanks for your information CStar (would be nice to have your real name). I have added references to Patrick during the North West Rebellion – check it out. Would appreciate any of the other stuff you mentioned, if or whenever you find it.
I have information about your great grandfather Frederick PRUDEN (1874-1953). Would be nice to know who were your grandparents?

CStar

Post by CStar » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:08 am

My real name is Colleen Starchuk. My grandfather is Fredrick Pruden, son of Fredrick. My grandmother is Dorothy Pruden, daughter of Jack Fregin and Ruby Calvert. Thank you for the updates. I am still looking for the documentation mentioned.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks for the photo Beth Balsillie! I have added it to the Page.
Would like to know more about your grandma Mary Rose. I can’t seem to find her. Was she a PRUDEN?

bthor

Post by bthor » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:55 am

Gary, this is Leana's reply:

"Leana A Patenaude Beth-Grant Balsillie Yes she was daughter of Patrick Pruden and Isabella Bruneau. She was born in 1876 in 'Mangin District', Alberta. She married Deome 'Guillaume' Desjarlais (whom we also have a hard time finding information on). She passed away on October 11, 1947 and is buried in Lac La Biche. She is my grandmother's mother.
I've seen her as 'Mary Louise' in one place. Not sure why. The paper we have says Mary Rose. My older aunts and uncles knew her as Mary Rose. And her headstone says Mary Rose. She was born between Frederick and Louis Pruden."

Beth

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:27 pm

My source for her name came from LAC (Archives Canada) as follows: “Marie Louise PRUDEN; address Hay Creek; born 1877 at Lac la Biche; father: Patrick PRUDEN (Metis); mother: Isabelle BRUNEAU (Metis). “
However, you have me convinced, and I am going to put (Rose) in brackets with her name.