Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

ROBERT SCOLLIE (1799-1888)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

ROBERT SCOLLIE (1799-1888)

Post by gnstill » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:51 pm

New Family Page: ROBERT SCOLLIE (1799-1888)

Please post comments and queries about the ROBERT SCOLLIE FAMILY here.

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: ROBERT SCOLLIE (1799-1888)

Post by gnstill » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:30 am

Donn Fowler posted Sep 21: Robert Scollie and Mary (Corrigal) Scollie of Otonabee Township, Peterborough County Ontario are my great great paternal grandparents.

dandelong

Post by dandelong » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:42 pm

Robert Corrigal and his wife Mary Scollie... their oldest son George Jacob Edward Scollie married Anne Fowler (oldest daughter of John Fowler and Jane Prudham). George Scollie was Anne's brother-in-law through marriage of young son, Samuel Fowler to Margaret Charlotte Scollie, her sister. Mary Elizabeth Scollie, a daughter of George and Anne Scollie (Fowler) is my great grandmother, married to John Roger Goodfellow and resided in Peterborough. The only daughter of John R Goodfellow, and Mary Scollie is my grandmother, Marion Goodfellow, who married Harry (Henry) Barrett of Peterborough in 1922, and resided next door to her parents in Peterborough. Scollie relative from Fort William (now Thunder Bay) visited often in the 30s and 40s. Harry Barrett and Mae (Marion) Goodfellow had a daughter, Marion (Betty) Elizabeth, and two sons, Donald and Edward (Ted). My mother, the daughter known as Betty all her life, married Donald James Delong, my father.

Going back a generation before Robert Scollie, his father-in-law- Jacob Corrigal (father of Robert's wife, Mary Corrigal), spent abut 50 years in service of Hudson's Bay Company.
My interest in Jacob Corrigal is spurred by a few historical highlights: the murder of Wiilliam Corrigal, his older brother, and nine others, at Hannah Bay in 1832, and the substantial house he had constructed in Cobourg Ontario soon after retiring there in 1840. The new owners of Corrigal House at 458 William Street, are interested in learning about the home's history, especially alterations from the original. I live only 30 minutes from Cobourg, and had a brief conversation with the current owners a few days ago.
In a 1965 letter from Bill Scollie of Fort William, to Mae/May Barrett, my grandmother (and his cousin), he mentioned the discovery of a skull believed to have once been attached the body of elderly bachelor David Scollie, of Otonabee Township, possibly the result of a mysterious burning of his house while under joint residence by the family of Thomas Gray. David's body was found, headless, in a shallow basement grave, instead of in the more upper level ashes, where he had lain in bed as an invalid. A murder trial followed.
Assigning David Scollie to the family of Robert and Mary Scollie, or his brother James Scollie, who settled on a nearby farm to Robet's Bluebell Farm, in Otonabee (east of the same named river and south of current Hwy 7). David Scollie (1829-1894) may have been a nephew to either Robert or James.
I should mention that, at least a decade ago, Jim Nott had sent me a low resolution scanned image of Robert and Mary, taken in 1834. Unfortunately, facial details are hazy, although I attempted some digital improvements, enlarging by 400 percent and fiddling with contrast. The image appears to have come from a book of family history... one I have no further knowledge of. However, this forum accepts only URLs to images; it can't be found through a web image search... yet.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:01 pm

Thanks very much Dan – very interesting!
I presume you have seen this Page:
JACOB CORRIGAL (1775-1844)