Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

RODERICK McKENZIE SUTHERLAND (1821-1896)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

RODERICK McKENZIE SUTHERLAND (1821-1896)

Post by gnstill » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:03 pm

New Family Page: RODERICK McKENZIE SUTHERLAND (1821-1896)

Please post comments and queries about the FAMILY OF RODERICK McKENZIE SUTHERLAND here.

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: RODERICK McKENZIE SUTHERLAND (1821-1896)

Post by gnstill » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:48 am

Jeremy White, Aug 26: Thank you for this excellent page! If you send my your email address to me at jeremywh@hotmail.com -- or another method -- I'll send you Mary Emily (Lowman) Sutherland's obituary article from 1917, which includes a picture of her.

Also, amazingly, Alice Mary Sutherland did not travel with her parents out west to Oregon. She stayed with her grandparents at the Red River Settlement -- we don't know why (perhaps she was ill). Then, at the age of 16, she traveled with her grandmother, Mary (Kelly Lowman) Bird to England. Although she corresponded with her parents and siblings out in Portland, Oregon, I have not seen evidence that they ever saw each other again.

June 5, 1865. Alice Mary Sutherland, age 16, writes from Red River to her parents in Oregon:
"I can not leave Red River without writing you a few lines. You will be surprised to hear that Grandma is going to England, her health been so bad all the winter that her that only chance is a warmer climate. She has scarely been out of her room these six months and is still very weak, but we hope that the journey may do her good. We are expecting to start tomorrow. Uncle Maurice [Lowman] is going to take us as far as St. Paul's in a wagon, and from there we will go by rail and steamship. Uncle Maurice is a fur trader on his own account and lives up on Portage La Prarie. He pays us a visit every now and then he will bring back his goods when he returns from taking us. I told before I think that Aunt Eliza has a little son, his name is Charles James George, by all accounts he is a very fine child. Uncle Curtis's little boy is such a fine little fellow."

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: RODERICK McKENZIE SUTHERLAND (1821-1896)

Post by gnstill » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:13 pm

I have added the picture you sent of Mary (nee Lowman) Sutherland to the RODERICK SUTHERLAND Page. Thanks very much!