Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

ASHAM

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

ASHAM

Post by gnstill » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:48 pm

Message from Don Larsen:
Hi Gary - we have talked before via your Peter Fidler board. Interestingly, because of your board I was able to make contact with an estranged 1st cousin, now living in Calgary (I am in Winnipeg). I can see you have done a lot of work connecting the ASHAM family to the James ISHAM family line.
I too am descended from an ISHAM / ASHAM. My grandmother's, mother's name was Eliza ASHAM. Her father was Isaac ASHAM. I am trying to establish how Isaac ASHAM would fit into the ISHAM / ASHAM line. I wonder if he might be a brother or first cousin to William ASHAM (b.1851). Isaac ASHAM was also married to a THOMAS. I can provide more details (birth dates, other spouses and siblings in a follow up message).
Cheers!
Don Larsen

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: ASHAM

Post by gnstill » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:50 pm

Good to hear from you Don!
According to my information, Isaac ASHAM was born 1845, probably in the St Peters Reserve. He was the son of Elizabeth BEAR & James ASHAM (1823-1901). In 1865 he married at St Peters to Matilda THOMAS.
Isaac’s brother, Chief William ASHAM, was born around 1854 (same parents as Isaac). He was married to Jane Mary THOMAS.
Unfortunately I have been unable to determine the parents of James ASHAM b-1823, but it is almost certain that he would have descended from the same ISHAM family line.

operaman

Post by operaman » Sun May 08, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi Gary -

Yes I am looking to see if it is possible to make a link from James Isham (b. abt. 1716 in St. Andrew's Parish, Holborn, London, England), then Charles Thomas Price Isham (detailed here: http://www.biographi.ca/009004-119.01-e.php?BioId=36598); Charles' children: Thomas, Mary, Jane, and James (possibly born about 1775 - 1780) to James Asham (b. 1823). It looks like I am missing a single generation between Thomas, Mary, Jane and James to the James Asham (b.1823). What do you think would be the best resource for determining the ancestry line and verifying it. Would Manitoba Historical Society have this information or HBC archives or other resource?
Thanks very much.
Don Larsen

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon May 09, 2011 7:32 am

Sorry Don, that one has me stumped too.

I have checked through the online information from the Library of Archives Canada with no luck. HBC Archives online, again no luck. Can't seem to come up with anything using Google searches, etc.

Hopefully someone out there will see this and come to our assistance.

Just out of curiosity, back in the 60's I worked surveying in northern Manitoba with a Brian LARSEN from Lac du Bonnet; we were good friends for several years till I lost touch with him.

Also have a friend in Selkirk who was a daughter of an Emil LARSEN b-1810 (from Denmark).
Any of these names ring any bells?

mcdobie

Post by mcdobie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Hello - I'll just jump in the Asham family forum.
My great grandmother was Edith Davis Asham born @ 1866 either in Dynevor or St Peters, Manitoba and died in 1890 in Rat Portage, Ont and then buried at St Andrews, Manitoba.
Her parents were James and Elizabeth Asham both born in 1823 in NWT. On her marriage certificate, she was married to Arthur John Huckell in 1886 at St Peter's church and the witnesses were William Asham and Rachel Asham whom I think are her siblings.

Has anyone else found Edith in their searches? I have sent for the 5 page booklet by William Asham called "The History of My Ancestors - The Swampy Cree Indians" from the Archives of Manitoba. Hopefully, it's the same family!
Heather

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:27 am

I have this family in my files. My information indicates that Edith & Arthur John HUCKELL had three children born at Cross Lake, MB. Two died in infancy and one surviving daughter was Mary Elizabeth HUCKELL, born Dec 28, 1883 at Cross Lake.

Do you have family connections to these people?

mcdobie

Post by mcdobie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Mary Elizabeth Huckell is my grandmother ( my mom's mother) but I have her birthdate as July 25, 1886 in Rat Portage Ontario - or at least that is when her birth was registered. Her parents were Arthur John Huckell and Edith Davis Asham. They didn't get formally married until March 11, 1886. There may have been earlier siblings and I know that there were 2 siblings born after my grandmother - a girl -Ida Elsie b 1888 d.Oct 13. 1888 - and a boy - Henry James b Nov 11, 1890 and died 2 days later. Edith Davis Asham Huckell died shortly after her son in December 1890.

In the Library and Archives Canada Metis Scrip records, Arthur John Huckell and Edith Davis Asham have an unnamed son born Dec. 28, 1883 and died at 1 month . The scrip records also have my grandmother's birthdate as June 25th, 1885 in Cross Lake - how were the Metis Scrip records verified - was it just the father supplying the information?
I have Arthur John Huckell's family information but very little about Edith Davis Asham - do you know anything about her family?
Thanks!
Heather McKenzie

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:11 pm

As you already know, Edith was a daughter of Elizabeth & James ASHAM b-1823. I have not had time to follow it up but I believe James’ wife may have been Elizabeth BEAR. They had about eight children one of which may have been Chief William ASHAM (born c1853) of the St Peters Indians. I’ve been pretty busy these days, but when I get a chance I will try to check all this out further

Out of curiosity, are you by any chance the Heather McKENZIE I think you are (Billy Bruce)? If you've read my page you’ll already know who I am.

mcdobie

Post by mcdobie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:50 pm

Sorry - I'm not the right one! There are many Heather McKenzie's in Canada! There are two just at the same dentist's office that I go to! I live in Cranbrook BC and have always lived in BC.
Heather

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:45 pm

For all who are interested, I have just posted a page for James ISHAM. Here's the link:

JAMES ISHAM (1716-1761)

I plan to follow this up later with a page for his son, CHARLES ASHAM. Stay tuned.