Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

MAGNUS SPENCE (1765-1845)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

MAGNUS SPENCE (1765-1845)

Post by gnstill » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:23 am

New Family Page: MAGNUS SPENCE (1765-1845)

Please post queries and discussions hereunder.

Shirley

Re: MAGNUS SPENCE (1765-1845)

Post by Shirley » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:43 am

Thank you so very much Gary for bringing the dates and details of Magnus and Christiana Spence to life! I had a few names and dates that thankfully match yours. The additional pieces of history and dates certainly help me to understand their life paths. Much appreciated! Shirley

Kennedy/Thomas

Post by Kennedy/Thomas » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:10 am

I'm not sure where exactly your research starts or ends for the Spence family, I am also curious as to who they were connected to because there are enough of them known that they could potentially be connected to some of my family tree. One of my aunts tells me that the child given up for adoption to the Spence family by my grandmother Isabelle was Noreen Clark(e)-the surname previously mentioned by member Jdoyle in the John George Kennedy forum topic and not a child named Yvonne(Shand) as previously thought by myself. Noreen was adopted by the Spence family via Mary Simard, a midwife who was more than likely Mary nee Cochrane and related family member of the Norway House Cochranes(est. 1850's) prior to relocation at other reserves/elsewhere.

Kennedy/Thomas

Post by Kennedy/Thomas » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:52 pm

I have read the history bit on this site about some of the first family names in the red river area and noticed the Spence family listed. In addition I noticed the Wright family. I am related to some Wrights from the area but I think that they were non Indian unless I am wrong. One of them apparently served on the first senate or similar for Winnipeg. My great grandmother's father was a Wright born est. 1880-1900. Some of the Wrights's were in the service including one who helped in the westward expansion alongside the NWMP.

Are you gnstill familiar with twins Kim and Tim Fidler of Winnipeg-1970's?

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:58 am

You are probably referring to Grant WRIGHT (1905-1998) who married Alice LYONS, daughter of Alice McKENZIE & William LYONS (1856-1939). Link: WILLIAM LYONS

Grant WRIGHT was born in Winnipeg, son of Agnes GRANT (Scotch) & William Charles WRIGHT (born 1848 in England). He was a plumber and tinsmith by trade. He lived in Mapleton and worked in Selkirk.

Kennedy/Thomas

Post by Kennedy/Thomas » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:11 pm

On Dec 4, 1926, daughter Alice married in Winnipeg to Grant WRIGHT, son of Agnes GRANT & William Charles WRIGHT (1876-)

From the above I took from the link to the Lyons family-Alice Lyons married a Grant Wright son of Agnes Grant and William Charles Wright(1876-). Do you gnstill know if William Charles Wright had any brothers or cousins probably a bit younger then him named James or Archibald?

On another side note, I have been told that a friend of the family with early Manitoba roots was always told by his grandmother a Mrs. Taylor that they had some Indian in their family tree. I found that interesting since the Taylor family was also among some of the first in the Red River area.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:23 pm

I have lots of WRIGHT info, including a James Archibabld WRIGHT born 1874 in Winnipeg, but you have to provide more clues about the person you are looking for (birthdates, places etc) and who they were associated with.

Kennedy/Thomas

Post by Kennedy/Thomas » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:31 am

In the book "Homeland to Hinterland" by Gerhard J. Ens, he writes about a William Hallet who had Henry Jr. and William along with a daughter Mary. William was said to be a English Metis leader of sorts although his brother Henry and sister Mary married French Metis-page 126. Henry Hallet Sr. was an officer with the Hudson Bay Company from what it looks like and he had these children with a French Metis woman. It looks like the kids would have only been about a quarter Indian if there was a way to determine that based on the mother being half and the father being white which is what is written in the book.
A James Archibald Wright married Mary Christina Hallet in 1912 at Winnipeg. I am wondering if there is any connection to Mary Christina going back to her grandparents or further. I realize that there may not be an immediate connection to her and the Indian families at the time of her marriage to James Archibald Wright but one of the brothers or cousins may have started a Metis lineage of their own. As for James Archibald Wright I would like to connect him to the first Wrights in the Red River Settlement or put him on a ship list as a new arrival.
Any input is appreciated.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:02 am

James Archibald WRIGHT (1874-1943) married in 1912 to Mary Christina HALLETT b-1891. I have all these families fairly well documented and I know all about the encounters with RIEL, etc.

You could save me a lot of time if you would just mention the most recently born person you are interested in, and how they may be connected to these families.

Kennedy/Thomas

Post by Kennedy/Thomas » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:43 am

Can you do a family page for James Archibald Wright and Mary Christina Hallet as this couple were my great great grandparents. My family lineage from them is to my great grandmother Mabel Bauder nee Wright who married Ernest Mack Bauder both have obituaries on the Passages website published by the Winnipeg Free Press. I am only really interested in the lines that go back further than James Archibald and Mary Christina as not all my current family members are keen to have their information on a website at this time unfortunately.