Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

From the Land and from a Metis hereditary chief

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
Great Bear Woman

From the Land and from a Metis hereditary chief

Post by Great Bear Woman » Sun May 03, 2015 10:07 am

My name is Great Bear Woman and I was born with a birthmark in the shape of a spearhead that changes into an eagle feather. I am a Fidler too. I was born in Atikokan, a place called Caribou Bones. The history and music flow through me. We are Aboriginal peoples and for some of us the ways of the land flow with an ancient history of peace. There are ways of Peace, Law, and Survival that go deep within us. I have come to find that Metis people are ready more now to Indigenous, plant the roots of the tree deeply with the history. At the triple water shed is a history of how the Fur Trade was run though the ways of the drum. Grand Portage is on both sides of the border for a reason that had to do with the multicultural ways of gathering to outline the rules of the fur trade. Peace was maintained for a long time. Where did these ways of trade come from? The music of the muskox, have woken up in me because of the concerns for safety on the land. When a concern comes, I have to go deep into the ways that come to find solutions.

Metis history comes from ways that are a part of the time prior to first contact. The fiddle and the jig is not so far away from the dance of the chickadee or the ancient ways of the eagle dance. There are long journeys that are within us and the music is alive.

Last summer a white eagle flew towards me and called out, "Be a chief", I am not sure how to be a chief with the Fidlers, but I am one. I had gone to the original herd of buffalo and was reminded of the gentle strength and family. Then the white eagle flew.

For me leadership in the old way is to allow others to use their strengths as we move forward. I am not sure how a chief can best help within the Metis Community. The muskox songs for safety, the song of the wolf, the caribou, the bear, the buffalo, and the water are all wakening for a reason. Where do I begin with the call from the White Eagle? It flew from the east to not far from where I live, an old story beginning anew. Gather at the water as it flew there.

Thank you to those who have helped with this web site.

Shaun Hains

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: From the Land and from a Metis hereditary chief

Post by gnstill » Sun May 03, 2015 2:33 pm

Welcome to the Forum Shaun, and thanks again very much for the donation.

I’m anxious to learn more about your FIDLER family connection. Is your maiden name KELLY or FIDLER?

I’m guessing you may perhaps be a descendant of the following Jack FIDDLER, also known as Zhauwuno-geezhigo-gaubow (from the Oji-Cree: Zhaawano-giizhigo-gaabaw meaning "He who stands in the southern sky"), as described in Wikipdeia at this link:
JACK FIDDLER (d-1907) in WIKIPEDIA
Please give us a brief description of your FIDLER lineage.

Great Bear Woman

Post by Great Bear Woman » Sun May 03, 2015 5:46 pm

My maiden name is Kelly From Isabella Young and Thomas Kelly who was born in St. Mary's, Elk county, Pennsylvania.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon May 04, 2015 7:20 am

Ok, that’s what I thought. However, I’m still missing the FIDLER connection.
In order to follow up on this I have created a new page for the family of your parents at this link:
THOMAS KELLY (1882-1964)
Would love to have you critique that Page under the Forum Topic indicated there, and provide us with more details, particularly with regard to Thomas KELLY’s parents and ancestors.

Great Bear Woman

Post by Great Bear Woman » Mon May 04, 2015 7:57 am

James Young Sr to James Young Jr. who married Margaret and gave birth to Isabella Young who was born in Little Britain March 28, 1888. Isabella Young married Thomas Kelly in Souris, North Dakota

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon May 04, 2015 8:57 am

Shaun: I’ve already got that covered on the just mentioned THOMAS KELLY PAGE, and also in this link:
JAMES YOUNG (1862-1936)

It’s your FIDDLER or FIDLER connection I’m looking for!

Great Bear Woman

Post by Great Bear Woman » Sat May 09, 2015 8:57 am

I don't know as much about the Fidler connection either. The one name left off is Mary Donald, otherwise perhaps I am not a Fiddler. Mary Donald, I don't know that much about.

Great Bear Woman

Post by Great Bear Woman » Sat May 09, 2015 9:00 am

I did notice that with the records and registration of birth, lots etc. Mary Donald was the person who kept the records. You may notice her signature of some of the old documents.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat May 09, 2015 7:17 pm

Check my New Page for your Great Grandparents that may clear up the FIDLER question at this link:
JAMES GUNN (1824-1905)

Great Bear Woman

Post by Great Bear Woman » Sat May 09, 2015 7:27 pm

Thank you so much, I have wanted to know more about Mary Donald. I guess that the Fiddlers are cousins. This is important to me. Does this mean that I can continue to check in with the website, or should I withdraw? Honest question in terms of respecting the Fiddler site.