Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JOHN GEORGE KENNEDY (1870-?)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
Kennedy/Thomas

Re: JOHN GEORGE KENNEDY (1870-?)

Post by Kennedy/Thomas » Tue May 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Male in my thirties and would like to be remembered for keeping my grandmothers legacy alive through her connection to the people of early Manitoba(St. Peters Band of Indians as well as the Manigotagan connection). Call me Kennedy Jr. Garry. I was taught by my grandmother Isabella Simard who's mother was Margaret Kennedy(b. 1891). My parents and uncles lost their roots by living in the big city, Winnipeg. I should mention that they were not all born in Winnipeg but definitely raised there.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri May 11, 2012 10:27 pm

I greatly appreciate that Kennedy.

I have finally uploaded my first installment of the KENNEDY Families of St Peters. Check it out at this Link:
JANE KENNEDY (c1791-c1885)

I will tackle John KENNDEDY b-1810 next.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun May 13, 2012 5:56 pm

I have included what I know about John KENNEDEY (b-1810) in my new page for his son Alex.

Link: ALEXANDER KENNEDY (1852-1935)

Now we can avoid confusion by discussing each particular family under its own specific topic. Look forward to your comments.

sandra litwin

Post by sandra litwin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:24 am

Kennedy/Thomas wrote:Male in my thirties and would like to be remembered for keeping my grandmothers legacy alive through her connection to the people of early Manitoba(St. Peters Band of Indians as well as the Manigotagan connection). Call me Kennedy Jr. Garry. I was taught by my grandmother Isabella Simard who's mother was Margaret Kennedy(b. 1891). My parents and uncles lost their roots by living in the big city, Winnipeg. I should mention that they were not all born in Winnipeg but definitely raised there.
Mildred Simard is my husband's mom. She is now Mildred Litwin. Mildred Simard was born in Mantigotogan on Jan 10, 1926. Her mother was Margaret Kennedy born Nov 1, 1891 father was Charles Simard. Margaret mother was Juliet Thomas. I am in the works of appling for her treaty card as Juliet was from St. Peters band also her mom Margaret Kennedy (both treaty from St.Peters) Margaret died in a house fire and Mildred and her sibling's survived to be raised by I believe the "the nuns" she says. Margaret's sister Millie Vina Kennedy died also in the fire she was born in R.M St. Clements on December 5, 1904. Margaret's dad was John Kennedy and mother was Juliet Thomas. Angeline ..Mildred Simard sister lived in Winnipeg for years her daughters are still alive living in BC. I will post more as I get more info.

sandra litwin

Post by sandra litwin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:27 am

jdoyle wrote:Hi. I am one of John George Kennedy's great-granddaughters. I have been searching for my mom's ancestors on both my gramma's side (Mary Elizabeth Kennedy) and Alex Wood, who is my grandfather. One of the reasons you couldn't find the girls in one census, is because they were sent to residential school after Juliet's death. My mom says her mom and her younger sister and brother were sent there as John George was unable to care for them and work. I don't know where his family went, other than his brother Alex. From the stories my mom told us, John George travelled around working as a labourer or on boats as a hand. And he was a ladies man, as he had children with two women after Juliet's death. I believe my granny's younger sister was sent to live with Juliet's parents William and Mary Ann Thomas who were living on the reserve and not at St. Peter's. I can't confirm this though ... My granny married Alexander Wood of Manigotogan and had 13 children. The sister who married a Simard died in a house fire but I remember Aunt Agnes, Aunt Millie, Uncle Roddy who were my granny's siblings. Charlie Kennedy was John George's son from another woman and was my granny's half brother. My mom's cousin (Maggie's daughter) Angeline Krause lived down the street from us back in the sixties. Juliet is buried in St. Peter's Dyvenor cemetary. Mom said John George drowned at Selkirk but she isn't sure of the year it happened. Thank you for the info regarding JG's family.
Hi your mom's cousin Angeline Krause is my mother in law Mildred Litwin (nee Simard)she is Angeline's sister. She is still alive at the age of 86. Her mother was Margaret Kennedy and father was John George Kennedy. Margaret was the oldest of of Juliet Thomas Children she was born in 1891. Margaret died in a house fire and Mildred says she was raised by the nuns. One of Margaret's siblings who was Millie Vina Kennedy has her grandchildren residing here in Red Lake, who were childred of Stella (Wood). Mildred has alot of information on Angeline as she used to visit her in Winnipeg prior to her death..

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:36 pm

In order to avoid confusing everyone about these families, I have just posted a new family page at this link: CHARLES SIMARD aks SEYMOUR (1888-1935)

Please take a look, and hereafter please post comments & queries about that family under the Forum Topic Link provided on that page.

I'm hoping you can provide new information regarding birth dates, etc of his children. It would be great if you could provide some pictures to add to it.

dsais

Post by dsais » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:14 pm

Hello
I am new to this site and was really excited to see John George Kennedy on here. My Great Grandmother was Agnes Mayo, John George Kennedy's and Juliet's daughter which makes him my great, great Grandfather. My dad told me of stories of my great Grandmother (Agnes Mayo), grandmother (Ruth Fraser) and mom (Elaine Sais) visiting Agnes's brothers in Manigotagan. If anyone has any questions about my great grandmother please don't hesitate to ask. I can't wait to tell my aunt and my great uncle Joey who is Agnes's only remaning child about this. Also when I was looking up my great Grandmother in Manitoba database searches I was curious why Agnes Matilda was the only one born in St.Peter's. Does anyone know why?

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:23 pm

It is most certainly a pleasure to have you aboard dsais !
(It would be nice to have a first name I could refer to you as?)

I was hoping someone from this family would come on the forum. I most certainly have lots of questions, and it seems you are just the person who may be able to answer them. Here’s a few to begin with; I’ll have lots more later:

When and where was your grandmother Ruth (nee MAYO) born?
When and where was your grandfather Frank FRASER born?

Is Dec 6, 1894 the correct birthdate for your great grandmother Agnes Matilda KENNEDY?

The 1906 census in the St Peters Reserve enumerated two apparently different children named Agnes THOMAS in the household of Mary (nee STEVENS) & William THOMAS (1846-1931); one was his 18 year old daughter (b-c1888) and the other was his 10 year old granddaughter (b-c1896), presumably the Agnes who married Wallace MAYO. It is the Agnes born c1888 that has me totally confused. Do you know anything about her?

Best regards
Gary Still

dsais

Post by dsais » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:29 pm

Hello Gary
My name is Darrell and I went to visit my Grandmother's grave site this past summer in Selkirk to show my daughter's where some of their family is buried so I can give you some info.

Wallace Mayo b.1893 d.1965 My Great Grandfather
Agnes Matilda Mayo b. 1894 in St.Peter's d. 1981 Winnipeg My Great Grandmother

Frank Fraser b. 1923 in Dauphin d. 1982 Winnipeg My Grandfather
Ruth Fraser b. 1921 in Selkirk d. 1983 Winnipeg My Grandmother

Frank Sais b. 1942 in Winnipeg My Father
Elaine Sais b. 1944 in Selkirk d. 1996 Winnipeg My Mother

I hope this helps. Again if you have any questions just ask. I have my great Grandmother's obituary and it lists in 1981 as her surviving brothers Charles, Roddy and Gilbert and one surviving sister Mrs. Millie Sanderson. I was fortunate to be able to know my great Grandmother. Later in her years she ended up living with her daughter Cora. I can remember her at our many family gatherings such as Christmas.

Thanks
Darrell

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:14 am

Great stuff Darrell!

I have presented several pages about your MAYO ancestors. First check this link; then follow the various associated links: CHARLES EDWIN MAYO (1834-1948)

Also, please take a look at this Family Page: LOUIS SIMARD aka SEYMOUR (1855-1920)

Then, please join the discussions relating to Agnes KENNEDY, particularly with regard to Lina’s queries at this link: FORUM DISCUSSING the LOUIS SIMARD FAMILY