Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JOHN WESLEY BELL (1852-1929)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

Re: JOHN WESLEY BELL (1852-1929)

Post by gnstill » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Wes: There is really nothing to gain by me doing graphics conversions, etc in order to show you the original. I've already given the details in his Family Page; here they are again in full detail.
Census 1916: Neepawa (#6), SD-16 (Neepawa), HH-248 (Seventh St, Neepawa): John BELL, farm Labourer, age 64 (born c1852 in England; immigrated 1858); wife Ellen, age 52 (born c1864 in ON).
There is nothing more than that to see on the actual page.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:38 am

Wes: I checked out the John BELL you mentioned who died 1926 in Minnedosa. This is most likely John BELL who married Ann McCALLISTER and lived in the Harrison – Newdale area to the northwest of Minnedosa (south of Riding Mountain National Park).. He’s recorded in that area in the 1901 and 1906 censuses, and in the 1901 census it indicates his birth date as Aug 22, 1856. I think you can eliminate him as your potential grandfather.

Did you (or Greg) not already previously mention your grandfather as farming in the Neepawa area? That is why I looked for him in that area, and I thought the 1916 census was a clincher in that regard. Looks like prety solid evidence to me!

Another John D BELL raised a family in Portage la Prairie, but he was married to Betsy CLARKE. You can eliminate him too.

WDC

Post by WDC » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:36 pm

gnstill wrote:Wes: There is really nothing to gain by me doing graphics conversions, etc in order to show you the original. I've already given the details in his Family Page; here they are again in full detail.
Census 1916: Neepawa (#6), SD-16 (Neepawa), HH-248 (Seventh St, Neepawa): John BELL, farm Labourer, age 64 (born c1852 in England; immigrated 1858); wife Ellen, age 52 (born c1864 in ON).
There is nothing more than that to see on the actual page.
Gary, the gain is that I can have the actual page in my collected material, just like I have the 1906 and 1911 census pages for them. I also have Henderson Directory pages. Since the 1916 census cannot be searched by name, I have spent hours trying to find the right page on Canada's Archives and Library site, and still have not found it, so I thought it would be a simple request for you to send me the page. Since you do not like doing that, then never mind. But, I would say that most people interested in their ancestors would like to have a copy of the page the information was recorded on.

Re: the Minnedosa John Bell, the year of birth seemed close, and since Minnedosa is close to Neepawa, John may have moved there. I thought it would be a good idea to at least check it out, so thanks for doing that.

I am pretty sure I have found the correct John W Bell in Ontario before he moved to Manitoba. Here is the information:

Name: John Willis Bell

Event: MARRIAGE

Event Date: 14 Mar 1894

Event Place: Goderich, Huron, Ontario

Estimated Birth Year: 1851

Father: Archibald Bell

Mother: Phillis Birket

Spouse: Elizabeth Dunkeld

Spouse's Age: 34

Spouse's Estimated Birth Year: 1860

Spouse's Father: William Dunkeld

Spouse's Mother: Harriet Reid

WDC

Post by WDC » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:01 am

Found out from the actual marriage record in England that Phillis's surname spelling was Birkett.

I'm still searching for when/where Archibald and Phillis Bell nee Birkett passed away, but have not found it yet. Still have not found when/where Eliza's parents William and and Harriet (I think she also went by the name Agness) Reid passed away either. I did find out their son Louis (Lewis) passed away at 21 years old.

Gary thanks for the section of the 1916 census, it allowed me to find the correct page (among hundreds) on the Federal site.

I also found on the 1916 census, a Roy Bell working a farm in the Neepawa area, same area mentioned for John W in the 1906 census - township 14 range 15 meridian 1W, but in the municipality of Langford in the Neepawa district, so I guess Wesley Roy Bell was still on the or a farm, but not enumerated in the census page that had John W and Ellen (Eliza?) Bell. I think this is the same person as Wesley Roy Bell, as in Etta's obit he is listed as Roy. Wesley Roy is listed as a labourer w(meaning an employee or worker (on) farm and a number 0-9-00 beside his occupation (meaning?). In the 1916 census John W is listed as a labourer w Farm and the same number 0-9-00.