Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JAMES MONKMAN (1775-1865)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
GlengarryBarbara

Re: JAMES MONKMAN (1775-1865)

Post by GlengarryBarbara » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:53 am

Thank you for setting up this page. I am keeping the family name of Monkman for James in my Ancestry.ca records, as my 2x great-grandfather was known as James Monkman 3 in the Gerrond family, from whom I am descended through his daughter, Mary Jane Monkman, but I will add aka Ducharme. I am very interested in seeing if there is more information on James' father, Pierre Ducharme, as he seems to be an "end of the line" ancestor. I know the Drouin Collection is a wonderful source of information for ancestors in Eastern Canada, but having only an approximate birth date (1815) and the birth place being known only Quebec does make the search seem next to impossible. I will also look for the potential candidates under the family name Lanouche, but I'm not expecting much in the way of results.
However, I have not given up, as after trying to find information on my father's french-canadien ancestors for several years, I recently discovered a new name from a local source and lo, I was suddenly able to trace the Blanchard family back to my 4x great-grandfather, Pierre Blanchard (about 1734-after 1763) born in La Rochelle, Charente-Maritime, France and died in New France (Quebec). Even better, I could then go even further back in his wife, Marie Louise Julienne Clement's family to a "Filles du Roi", namely my 7x great-grandmother, Anne Masson (1637-1710). She was born in Les Moities, Dallonne, Normandie, France, arrived in New France about 1669, married Robert Gallien in 1670 and died in Quebec City in 1710. Marie Louise Julienne Clement was Anne Masson's great-granddaughter.
BTW, do you have information on the Irvine Family, descended from William Irvine, born 12 Aug 1841 in Sandwick, Orkney, Scotland and died 30 Oct 1918 in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Canada? He emigrated from Scotland in 1862 and worked for the Hudson Bay Company in York Factory where he was known as William "B", not as an initial, but to distinguish him from another HBC employee also named William Irvine. William "B" contracted a first marriage with a Cree woman according to the rite of "Marriage à la façon du pays". He had at least one daughter, named Jessie, with his first wife, whom he kept with his second family when Jessie's mother died. William's second wife was Margaret Catherine MacGillivary Pritchard (b. 26 Dec 1862 in Red River Settlement, Assiniboia, Rupert's Land; d. 11 Dec 1896 in Fort Norman, Northwest Territories). According to some quite convincing sources, Margaret was a direct descendant of Edward III, King of England. Her grandfather, John Pritchard Sr. (b. 01 Jan 1777 in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England; d. 14 Oct. 1855 in Red River Settlement, Manitoba) was known to say he was "a humble sprig of nobility" and a document titled "A Peritchard (Pritchard) Line of Descent" does give some rather convincing authenticity to John Pritchard's claim. While this is of no actual importance (I am much more proud of my lineage from several First Nations ancestors) it is rather fascinating to be able to trace one's ancestors back so far in history. I stopped at Margaret of Wessex, b. circa 1045 in exile in Hungary; d. 16 November 1093 in Edinburgh Castle, Scotland. She was the Queen Consort of Malcolm III mac Donnchada, King of Scotland, and she is also know as St. Margaret of Scotland (she was canonised in 1250 by Pope Innocent IV in recognition of her personal holiness, fidelity to the Church, work for religious reform, and charity). If this link is indeed valid, then Margaret and Malcolm III of Scotland are my 26x great-grandparents, but I started to feel I was acting a bit crazy, so although it is possible, I have not gone back any further in this line.
But I will never say never and I look forward to what may yet be discovered about more recent ancestors through your superb resource!
Yours truly,
Barbara Petepiece, born Blanchard, from South Glengarry, Ontario, Canada :)

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:11 pm

Here’s your Pierre DUCHARME Page Barbara:

PIERRE DUCHARME alias LANOUCHE (1824-1886+)

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:19 am

Barbara: I have started a New Page for your maternal great grandparents at this link:

WILLIAM IRVINE (1843-1918)

I will probably need your assistance with some of that, so I look forward to your comments under that Forum Topic.

iammonk

Post by iammonk » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Hello , i would like to know were the info came from for James Monkman (1775-1865) parents as being( son of Elizabeth OUSTON and Isaac MONKMAN (b-1750).) To date no one has found documentation for this . Years when the Berry Monkman site was running no one could answer the mystery. I did my tree at the french place in the city and told them there is no way to tell who my James's father is . THe James from Ontario died in 1852 (His Father Is Isaac ) the genealogist went and put Isaac as my 6th gr grandfather (not right )in my payed for genealogy. How can a professional do that without proper documentation ????? I have notice since then that people are grabbing this info and using it .And if the genealogical society is passing it around it is not right either if that is what they are doing. It has been documented that James used both dates of birth 1771-1775 .
On the date 4/2/2016 I did find in (find my past.com) Results for Yorkshire baptisms a James Monkman b:1774 ,Father:Richard ,Mother _____ , Baptism place, Acklam & Leavening , County Yorkshire ( East Riding). Glad I found this BUT still it is not a true document .

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:49 pm

Regarding James’ father as Isaac MONKMAN: I believe I go that from Eileen Horan on MetisGen.
In any case, I have removed the reference to James’ parents’ altogether – Problem solved!

iammonk

Post by iammonk » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:57 pm

jan wrote:I am curious about the story told by Kathleen Monkman concerning James Monkman and his brother. Where is the Orkney she refers to? I only got the Orkney Isands when I typed it in? Was James still living in York and where was he being sent to school? Does anyone know the name of the brother? Any more info on this story appreciated.

I have her book I bought from the Museum of Man and Nature gift shop years ago , they did do research/oral history . As for the info for brother of James comes from a couple that the Loon Straits Monkman's know and that have visited them from the Orkney Islands they are Jim & Maureen Monkman . They do not know the fate of the brother Andrew only that he returned to England .
Apparently the 2 brother James and Andrew stowed way on the ship .Find a copy of the Selkirk Journal (sun.,June 6,2004 for that story .