Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

BAIKIE SINCLAIR (1802-1887)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

BAIKIE SINCLAIR (1802-1887)

Post by gnstill » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:10 pm

New Family Page: BAIKIE SINCLAIR (1802-1887)

Please post comments & queries about Baikie SINCLAIR and his family here.

thefishiologist

Re: BAIKIE SINCLAIR (1802-1887)

Post by thefishiologist » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:48 pm

Baikie's daughter Isabella married Julius Jochumsen Muggaberg - from Norway, not Sweden. His parents were Jochum Pedersen Muggaberg and Johanne Thoresdatter Fladeby.

Isabella and Julius had 11 children: Julius, William, Catherine, John, Frances, Mary-Ann, Jemima, George, Jessie, Jane, and Thomas.
-Kirsten

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:30 am

Welcome aboard fishiologist! (It would be nice to have a shorter name to address you by)

You are absolutely right; my mistake! I have made the correction on the Page for Baikie, and added your info regarding his parents. What was the source of your information that I can refer to; are you a descendant?

My info regarding the MUGGABERG children agrees with yours.

This is an interesting family with many family links to other Red River families. It would be a valuable contribution to the ancestry of the region to have a Julius MUGGABERG Page. However, due to my heavy workload these days it is not one of my current priorities. More about that at this link: SPECIAL FAMILY PAGES

thefishiologist

Post by thefishiologist » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi there,

I'm a Muggaberg descendant (Julius Sr.'s son George was my gr. gr. grandfather). My mom and I have recently tracked down a bunch of birth and census documents from Norway, and I've traced the family back to the late 1600's in Norway. Are you on ancestry.com? If so, send me your user name and I will invite you to view my tree. I'm also descended from the Corrigal, Lyons, Pulfer, Pruden, and McCorrister trees in Manitoba.

-Kirsten
-Kirsten

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi Kirsten, I often do visit Ancestry.ca but I only do genealogy stuff on my own (this) website. Actually, I do have quite a bit of info about the MUGGABERG families already in my files. It’s just that I am so busy these days that I don’t have time right now to delve into it; sorry.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:51 am

Lou posted: Hi, George Sinclair's wife was Mary Jane McLeod not sure when she was born but was listed as 20 in the 1891 Rainy River, Algoma County Census. She died in 1931. I am George & Mary Jane's grand daughter. Also as you have stated, I as well have not been able to come up with any info on "Elizabeth Swain". Thank you for putting all this together and sharing your info, very, very nice! Regards, Lou (Sinclair) Kabel

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:18 pm

New Family Page for Bakie's son: GEORGE SINCLAIR (1852-1939)

Now if you have any comments or queries about George SINCLAIR and his family, please post them at the Forum Link indicated there.

PrairieMutt

Post by PrairieMutt » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:06 pm

Hello,

First post here.

My cousin is a direct female-line descendant of Elizabeth "Betsy" Swain through Sarah Ann (Donald) McLean's daughter Florence (McLean) Smith. I am helping her out with her genealogy.

I understand Betsy appears out of nowhere. Because Betsy is my cousin's direct female ancestor, if my cousin were to take a mitochondrial DNA test it should be able to prove conclusively that Betsy was Cree (or at least we could rule out a European origin). Cree mitochondrial DNA would only ever be in the mitochondrial groups A, B, C, D, and X. European mitochondrial DNA is usually H, U, or V. If I can spring for this test I will let you know how it turns out, if you're interested.

I've also done some digging into the Scottish records for Baikie. There's a baptismal record in Orphir Parish, Orkneys, of Baikie and his twin sister Frances, which I will transcribe exactly as it appears in the register:

Dcbr 4th
George Sinclair, in Corbister, had by his spouse Margaret Gowdie, Twins Baptized, named The son (Baikie;) and the Daughter, named Frances.
Witnesses Baikie Gowdie, and Thomas Jorgsten.

The name "Jorgsten" seems to be the same as Yorston which seems common in the Orkneys. "Corbister" is not listed at Scotlandsplaces <http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/> but there is a Kirbister in Orphir Parish, which I am betting is the place.

http://www.britishplacenames.co.uk/hy36 ... ey-islands

I then dug up the marriage between George Sinclair and Margaret Gowdy, in Orphir, August 17 1802. Unfortunately the record doesn't list witnesses or parents so isn't much worth transcribing here.

Hope that helps.

A.J.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:56 pm

Welcome to the Forum A.J. Very interesting stuff you have there. When I get a chance I will check it out. Would love to hear about the DNA results.

I have lots of information about your cousin’s lineage all the way down to Florence McLEAN and John SMITH (1896-1961) from Lockport.

PrairieMutt

Post by PrairieMutt » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:25 pm

gnstill wrote:Welcome to the Forum A.J. Very interesting stuff you have there. When I get a chance I will check it out. Would love to hear about the DNA results.

I have lots of information about your cousin’s lineage all the way down to Florence McLEAN and John SMITH (1896-1961) from Lockport.
Many thanks. An interesting and useful site you have here. I'd love to hear more on what you have (maybe off-list is best).