Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

THOMAS HUMPREYVILLE (1779-?)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
MIEGUNYAH

THOMAS HUMPREYVILLE (1779-?)

Post by MIEGUNYAH » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:09 pm

Gary, Do you have any information about the family of Hannah (Ann or Annie) Turner, daughter of Philip Turner 1751-1800, who married Tommy Humphreyville, sometimes seen as Umpreville? Any information would be welcome, Thank you, Pam

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: THOMAS HUMPREYVILLE (1779-?)

Post by gnstill » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:46 am

Pam: I have just posted a new page: THOMAS HUMPREYVILLE (1779-?)

MIEGUNYAH

Post by MIEGUNYAH » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:13 pm

Gary, I'm a bit confused. I'm following the children of Philip Turnor. One of whom is HannahTurner born c1790 who married Tommy Humphreyville, the son of an Indian woman and Edward Umphreville, in 1814. Then there is Hannah Turner, daughter of Joseph and Emma Turner born in 1806, who also married Thomas Humphreyville in 1814 - she would have only been 8? Then there was Tommy H. who fathered Kitty. This Tommy H. was a British officer (Forsythe) : "a British officer stationed at Fort York. Kitty's father was apparently reassigned when she was a child, and though the family never saw him again, he continued to send money to Ann and his children for many years." Is there more than one Thomas Humphreyville? Tommy H. seems to be part of the group of Indians who had debt at Norway House and Cumberland House at about the same time as White Bear, which gives you the feeling he was part of the family band. Can you or anyone clarify this for me? Pam

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:10 am

Thanks for noticing that Pam. Hannah (Ann) as a child of Joseph TURNER (1783-1865) appears to be an outright error on my part; sorry about that. I have updated Joseph's Page accordingly.

About the only real information about Ann (Hannah) as the wife of Thomas HUMPHREYVILLE seems to be from Sprague & Frye which indicates her birth date as 1792, definitely making her more likely a child of Philip TURNOR.

EdmontonTom

Post by EdmontonTom » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:49 am

I love this site so much!

I have been compiling information for a few years on Thomas' sister, Louise UMPHREVILLE the wife (in the manner of the country) of John ROWAND, Chief Factor of Fort Edmonton. As I work at Fort Edmonton Park, this was been of great interest to me. However, I am not a professional historian nor a geneaologist, so take my research with a grain of salt. I'm also not sure how much this bears on Thomas himself, and I will leave that to the site author(s).

Louise's children, first by Pierre Boshue dit BRELAND and then by John ROWAND would have been Thomas' nieces and nephews. But did he know them?

J.G. Macgregor's John Rowand: Czar of the Prairies has Thomas' daughter Catherine 'Kitty' marrying Pierre Chrysologue Pambrun, first a la facon du pays in 1821 and then later in a Christian ceremony in 1838. This site's information as to her languages is a nice revelation!

I have always wondered whether Thomas kept up with Louise, but Kitty and Pierre lived in Fort Edmonton in 1823. I suspect Louise would have felt a family obligation towards them and their children. Perre was later sent to New Caledonia and Oregon and became a Chief Trader with the HBC in the 1840s. Three of he and Kitty's sons, Pierre Jr., Thomas, and Andrew entered Company service as well. A biographical outline from Catholic Church Records of the Pacific Northwest: Vancouver I & II, Stellamaris Mission reads "Like all the family, Thomas [Jr.] was musically gifted." He is also said to have his parents' curly hair.

Louise and Thomas also had a sister who ended up in Oregon as the wife of prominent Edmonton-area Metis Nicolas Montour. The HBC Company Archive names Nicolas' wife as Susanne, but the marriage records of the Catholic priests Blanchet and Demers, who baptize their children, name her as Marie Anne. Nevertheless, this does seem to be the same woman to me. This may have had something to do with Louise and presumably Marie-Anne/Susanne and Thomas' first language seeming to be Cree? Did they place less importance on their 'English' name?

There are a number of Montours throughout the North-West, but I only know of Isabelle MONTOUR as the daughter of Nicolas and Marie-Anne/Susanne, and thus Thomas HUMPHREVILLE'S niece. There is also frequent mention of a Canote Umpherville.

If anyone can shed more light on this generation of Umphervilles/Humpreyvilles and their spouses I would be greatly indebted!

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:04 am

I have just posted a New Family Page that should interest you. Here's the link:
EDWARD HUMPHREYVILLE (1755-?)

I am also working on a page for John ROWAND which I will upload in the next few days. Stay tuned.