Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

LOUIS SIMARD (1855-1920)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
Kennedy/Thomas

Re: LOUIS SIMARD (1855-1920)

Post by Kennedy/Thomas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:50 pm

Anyone out there familiar with the Guimond families of Manigotagan and area est. 1900-1960? Louis Simard Sr.(b. 1855) is stated to have had a child with Suzanne Guimond named suzanne Guimond who died in infancy? Louis Sr.(b. 1855) had Louis Jr.(b. 1883) before Louis Sr. and Betsy Cochrane could arrange for a marriage or at least it would appear they didn't get married until 1884 after Louis Jr. was born based on scrip records for Betsy. Louis married a Mary Cochrane according to scrip records before he ever married Elizabeth Peebles(b. 1889) as stated in Warren Sinclair's genealogy research on the Simard's.
Warren Sinclair's research is based on the Sinclair/Simard family connection which is very similar to the connection of Judge Murray Sinclair(Residential School Reconciliation Process) to the Simard's. Murray Sinclair's granny was Catherine Simard. Catherine was Louis Jr.'s sister sharing the same father Louis Sr.- the famous Louis Sr. who was born in Quebec and later determined to be a lumberjack. Louis Sr. may have also just been a Frenchman looking for big buck in any industry that was booming. I still wonder why someone would leave Quebec-other French people-the proximity to port and goods unless logging was said to be very profitable if the logs could ever make it to port for shipping to Europe etc. Louis Sr. came out to MB and had to learn English and marry an Indian named Betsy to survive up there no doubt or at least make it easier for him. Louis later turned to prospecting and I think that some of his close male relatives may have ended up staying in the Yukon for gold.
The Mary Cochrane who married Louis Jr. was most likely related to the Cochrane's that his maternal grandfather Thaddeus Cochrane was from. Thaddeus married Jane Stephenson who was related to the Andersons. After Thaddeus died when their daughter Betsy was young but not too young, Jane remarried a Charles Laund or Lund or Land or maybe Lundy depending on what records one looks for but I am sure of the remarriage because this guy attended Betsy and Louis Sr.'s wedding along with Jane as her husband based on the marriage cert.

sharonpatrish

Post by sharonpatrish » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:09 pm

Hi Gary,
Yes I realized you were asking about Sinclair after the excitement of finding this page. We also have the history on the Sinclair line which I will get ahold of also.
You've done a great job on this site, I especially liked the Chief Pequis page.

lina

Post by lina » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:28 pm

my great great gramma was Betsy my grampa (papa) was Louis Simard my dad is Louis simard the 3rd I had a brother Little Louie the 4th my dad is 80 years old now but talks about manigotogan alot that is where he grew up. My gramma was margaret saunders before she married my grampa. my dad married mary sinclair, desendent of Agnes and stanley sinclair. So I am a desendent of the simards and sinclairs I am 45 years and interested in the history of my family.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:27 pm

Thanks for your donation Lina. Very much appreciated!

In my information I have two different Agnes/Matilda KENNEDY’s and I am having great difficulty distinguishing which is which. One was born about 1888; the other was born about 1894. They were together in Census 1906 in the household of William THOMAS (1846-1931). More about that at this link: MORE ABOUT WILLIAM THOMAS (1846-1931)

I am going to review all of my information and will try to sort all this out and perhaps build a family page for Margaret SAUNDERS & Louis SIMARD b-1882. This may take me a few days and I will probably need more information from you as I work on it.

More info about Stanley SINCLAIR and Margaret SAUNDERS would be useful.

lina

Post by lina » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:18 pm

My papa Louis Simard died in June 1982 amd my nanny a year before that in may my papa was I belive the son of Betsy and Louis so maybe he was the 3rd and my dad the 4th and my deceased brother the 5th. I will ask my parents. Margaret Saunders was nanny and dont know much about her family. I am most interested in Agnes Sinclair dont know much about Stanley though but agnes died in 1967 they both lived in FortAlexander. I just want to know where I can or who I can ask too locate her grave. Who do I contact??? Thanks so much!!

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:55 am

Lina: I spoke to Father MALACHY from Pine Falls who told me that the Fort Alexander Roman Catholic Church in Sagkeeng burned down in 1980 and that all of the church records were lost. You say that Agnes died in 1967, so her information would have been lost as well. I will be following up on this later regarding burials after that date. I expect to have more information for you in another few days.

Is your name Colleen, the Free Press columnist?
Do you know when and where your grandmother Agnes KENNEDY was born?
Do you know when and where your grandfather Stanley SINCLAIR was born?

That information would be very helpful in sorting this all out. This is getting to be an interesting family; I have been accumulating quite a bit of new information in the last few days.

lina

Post by lina » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:58 pm

No I am Lina Agnes Paul ( Nee Simard ) And sorry I have not got out to visit my parents in a while but I hope to get more info from them when I do I will let you know. Dont know when or where my Sinclair grandparents were born, assuming Fort Alexander. I did here about the church burning down but was hoping there might be some kind of records somewhere else. That is sad.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:31 am

Following is a message I received recently from Warren Sinclair:

I am a descendant of Louis SIMARD. His daughter, Catherine SIMARD, was my grand-mother. She had told me that Louis' parents were Frank SIMARD and Catherine TREMBLAY. However, on Louis' death certificate his parents were listed as Frank SIMARD and mother unknown. Moreover, his name does not appear with Francois SIMARD and family in the 1851 census. He was born about 1854 and Francois and Catherine were married in 1856. It would appear that Louis is the "natural" son of Frank SIMARD and that Catherine TREMBLAY was not his mother. I am preparing to do more research in the new year and have prepared a very rough draft of the SIMARD history and am quite willing to share it. Warren Sinclair (Family historian for the SINCLAIR Family)

Warren: I’m even more interested in your great-great grandparents, Maria & Francois SINCLAIR (1812-1899) as I have lots of information about this lineage that needs verification.
Gary

wsink2

Post by wsink2 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:11 pm

Gary, could you email me what info you have re Francis Sinclair and Maria Sinclair. I will be updating their family history over the next few months. I'm very interested to read what you have researched.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:00 pm

Welcome to the Forum Warren!
I understand you are a cousin of Sharon SINCLAIR of the above postings. Is that correct?

I don’t have much beyond what you already posted on Ancestry.com. Only Sprague & Frye and Census 1881 information which supports your own details and lists their seven children as Francois Jr. b-1839, Harriet b-1842, William b-1855, John b-1857, Andrew b-1860 and Alexander b-1869 .

Do you know more about the origins of Francois SINCLAIR; or about Maria SINCLAIR’s parents which you indicated were Charlotte & John SINCLAIR b-1794? What was your source regarding this pair as Maria's parents?