Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

CHARLES FOX (1820-1868)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

CHARLES FOX (1820-1868)

Post by gnstill » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:40 am

New page posted for this family: CHARLES FOX (1820-1868)

To see preveious discussions that were posted on the Peter Fidler website, click on the following, however please make new postings here on this Forum/Website where all the related pages have been moved:
PREVIOUS CHARLES FOX DISCUSSIONS

Rhonda K

Re: CHARLES FOX (1820-1868)

Post by Rhonda K » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:01 pm

I am Charles and Thirza Fox's GG grand-daughter. I have information about the family that I am currently sorting through. As I work my way through it, I will post it here. For now, here is the information I have on Charles' and Thirza's children. I do not have birth dates, but these are posted in birth order.
Ann - married Thomas Bird
Sarah - married John Thompson
Catherine - died at age 16
Mary - married Frank Perry
Jessie - died at age 16
Richard - died at age 12
William (my great-grandfather) - b. 20 November 1855 d. 11 May 1925
John Charles - drowned in the Red River at age 18
Robert - died as a baby
Margeret - married Joseph Harper
Elizabeth - died at age 10

My information indicates that Charles took the name Fox when he married Thirza because his father-in-law felt O'Connor was too Irish. Charles' grandfather had been given the name Fox by the James Bay Cree because he was such a good hunter. It was a good compromise for the two parties because Fox is also an English name which pleased Richard Stevens.

Your family page on Charles and Thirza asks who the William Harper mentioned in the Western Land Grant document was. I understand that Margerat and Joseph Harper had two children. If so, it is possible that this is one of their children. In addition, William Fox's older sister married Frank Perry - it is possible that the Mark Perry listed in the same document is their son.

In the future, I will post Charles Fox's ancestors which can be traced to the mid-18th century through the HBC records.

In the meantime, I have no record of William Fox's first two marriages. He married Margerat (Marguerite) Pierre in 1903. They had six children. I would very much appreciate knowing where I can find the records of those two marriages so that I can add them to our family's record.

This is a wonderful database. It is truly a labor of love. Thank you so much for providing information which would be much more difficult to trace without your hard work.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:27 pm

Welcome aboard Rhonda; very interesting!

I have four of William FOX’s children by Margaret: Margaret (b-1905), Richard (b-1907), Sarah Annabella (b-1908) and Thirza Jane (b-1910). They were recorded in the 1911 Census at Fort Grahame, Yale, Cariboo, BC. Which one of these was your grandparent?

I have not researched the family as a priority any further after that time due to a heavy workload.
Gary

Orlin

Post by Orlin » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:04 am

I am a GG grandson of Charles Fox and Theresa Stevens via their daughter Mary and Frank Perry. I basically heard the same story from their daughter Mary, my Grandmother as Rhonda recounted regarding Charles Fox origins. Mark Perry I believe is a transcription error and should be Mary Perry daughter of Charles and Theresa Fox who did I believe apply for scrip. Since documents and applications back then were mostly handwritten, spelling and transcribing were not always accurate.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:26 pm

Yes Orlin: I am familiar with that Scrip Affidavit filed on Sep 16, 1875. It reads “Mary PERRY (with FOX in brackets) of St Andrews, wife of Frank PERRY, a cook of Winnipeg”, which is clear enough (not really erratic is it?).
Who were your parents?

Orlin

Post by Orlin » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:04 pm

gnstill wrote:Yes Orlin: I am familiar with that Scrip Affidavit filed on Sep 16, 1875. It reads “Mary PERRY (with FOX in brackets) of St Andrews, wife of Frank PERRY, a cook of Winnipeg”, which is clear enough (not really erratic is it?).
Who were your parents?

My Mother was Joyce Meade daughter of Mary Elizabeth Perry and William R. Meade. Mary Elizabeth Perry was the daughter of Mary Fox and Frank Perry and the grand daughter of Charles and Theresa (Thirza) Fox.

O.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:01 am

Thanks Orlin:
Now I see where you fit in. I have lots of information about your MEADE lineage back to Mary Rachel ASHFORD and Roland Price MEADE (1837-1879) from Vermont, USA. This lineage isn’t on my Priority List at present, but if you’re interesting in doing a follow-up with Family Pages, check this link: ** SPECIAL FAMILY PAGES