Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

ANDREW SETTER (1777-1870)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

ANDREW SETTER (1777-1870)

Post by gnstill » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:59 am

New Family Page: ANDREW SETTER (1777-1870)

Please post comments & queries about Andrew SETTER and his family here.

MackenzieSetter

Re: ANDREW SETTER (1777-1870)

Post by MackenzieSetter » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:09 pm

I am told I am descended from Andrew Setter & am trying after many years with the help of Family Elders & now this Site to determine some history about our Family.
My ideal goal would be to settle an argument that goes back to our Ancestor Andrew Setter once & for all: Were we Full Blood Indians or just Half breed?
Personally I would like to know what kind of Indian Ancestry do I have & will my children have? ie: Are we Woodland Cree as I have been told, or are we something else?
Following the Records through the Ancestry Archives, there are originally 6 children listed in a Census, then at the bottom of the Page it shows there were 10 Marriages after Andrew & Peggy. Is the family line distorted by the similar names or is there some records missing & still waiting to be added?
My immediate Elders had a Great Uncle do our Tree once & his information said we were descendant of Chief Peguis. Yet the Ancestry Records & Census dating back to the start of Andrew Setter show something else. So obviously something went wrong with our current records of our Past.
My Father is Kenneth Bryan Setter of Selkirk, Manitoba born to Kathleen & Harold Setter back in 1954 in Selkirk, Manitoba.
Am hoping anybody in the family doing our genealogy & having some information about Family will see this Posting & we can share what we know so far.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:21 am

Welcome to the Forum McKenzie.

As indicated in the narrative, your ancestral Andrew SETTER was a white-man, born about 1777 in the Orkneys of Scotland, so you are definitely NOT a full-blooded Indian and yes you would have Metis ancestors.

According to my information your father, Kenneth Bryan SETTER, is a son of Kathleen McCUMBER and Kenneth Herbert (you said Harold?) SETTER (1930-1988). My Aunt Minnie (nee McCUMBER) CONROD was related to Kathleen.

Your father was also a grandson of Katherine HOURIE and Bert SETTER (1900-1977). I personally know several of Bert SETTER’s children, particularly your great Uncle Harvey SETTER who I last saw about a month ago at a funeral in Selkirk.

MackenzieSetter

Post by MackenzieSetter » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:01 pm

Thank you for the information & corrections about mis-informed Family information regarding our Tree. Maybe now with the correct names & back history, we can finally give accurate details. And find more accurate Family Records for all involved.

More questions have arisen given the knowledge passed along now & some the Elders' will have answers to. The one I still don't see answered (or if it is ever going to be) is where or how someone doing our genealogy once already would be able say we are descendants of Chief Peguis. Being Metis & born to Andrew Setter is easy enough to follow when given the correct names & dates to follow. But still don't see the connection or how it would be speculated even we could be linked to such an important historical figure.

It is great to hear some of the Elders' are still making their way around carrying the SETTER name. The fact you saw an Great Uncle around a month ago will definitely be a delight to the immediate Family.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:21 pm

After further review I see where your particular lineage descends from Mary Mathilda SETTER b-1871, the daughter of Fanny PEEBLES and William “Big Thunder” SETTER (1847-1926).
Click on this link: WILLIAM SETTER (1847-1926)

The way I have it, Mary Mathilda gave birth to an illegitimate child (Bert SETTER) by her brother-in-law, John James CORRIGAL (b-1870).

I hope to eventually do a Family Page for John James SETTER, but It’s a complicated story that I just don’t have time to get into right now (It’s not on my Priority List). More about that at this link:
SPECIAL FAMILY PAGES

MackenzieSetter

Post by MackenzieSetter » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:05 pm

OH WOW!! So this is why we are having the fun trying to decipher what information we had to go on & what we have been finding is running us in circles! We definitely are going to have to get some donations made towards a complete (more importantly) accurate family record.
This Site has already helped start the trail of paperwork to sift & family to contact asking for more information & names...

Don.Norquay

Post by Don.Norquay » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:25 pm

To Mackenzie Setter:

Andrew Setter married Margaret "Peggy" Spence, who was the daughter of James Spence and his half-breed wife, Margaret Nistichio Batt. Nistichio was the daughter of fur trader Isaac Batt and a Cree woman who was the daughter of a Cree Chief. This Chief predated Chief Peguis, and of course he was not Cree, so if you are related to Chief Peguis, it would not be based on your being a descendent of Andrew Setter.

I am also a descendant of Andrew and Peggy Setter, so we are distant cousins. :D I expect, like my family, due to inter-marriage between and among many Metis and First Nation families in the 1800's, there are several sources of Indian blood in your family beyond the Batt-Spence-Setter line.

Isaac Batt had an interesting life - you can find more information about him and Nistichio at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Batt

Hope your ancestry research is going well.

Best regards,
Don

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:15 am

Welcome to the Forum Don!
Are you Dr. John Scott NORQUAY’s son and grandson of Ethel SCOTT and Jacob Truthwaite NORQUAY (1884-1978)?

I have lots of information about that lineage too.

Don.Norquay

Post by Don.Norquay » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:56 am

Hi Gary,

Yes, my father is John Scott Norquay, son of Jacob Truthwaite Norquay and Ethel Scott.

You have prepared biographies for 11 of my direct ancestors: Robert Miller, James Morwick (b. 1753), Oman Norquay, John Norquay (b. 1810), Thomas Norquay, William Scott, Andrew Setter, James Spence Sr (b. 1753), Matthew Truthwaite, Jacob Truthwaite, and Thomas Vincent.

I so very much appreciate the tremendous amount of time and effort that you have invested in this project! It is of great interest and value to me. Thank you!

Best wishes,
Don

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:43 am

Thanks very much for the donation Don, and Merry Christmas to you and your family.
In appreciation I have created a New Family Page for your grandparents at this link:
JACOB TRUTHWAITE NORQUAY (1891-1958)
Do you have any suitable pictures that could be added?