Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

Joseph Moore (Moor) William Moore/Rosie Macarthy

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
WDC

Joseph Moore (Moor) William Moore/Rosie Macarthy

Post by WDC » Fri May 11, 2012 11:05 am

Hello,

I am doing a genealogy on my mother's side of the family.

I have the Attestation Papers (WW1) of my Grandfather Joseph Moore where on it is stated he is from St. Peter, Manitoba. On his marriage certificate and on his death certificate (1929) the surname is spelled as Moore, but on the Attestation Papers it is spelled as Moor (he signed it this way as well).

On his marriage certificate he lists his parents as William Moore and Rosie Macarthy - although it is hard to make out the exact spelling (due to writing) of the surname Macarthy.

There are two birth dates for Joseph - 1890 and March 1891.

I am looking for any information on Joseph, his siblings, and his parents, along with the correct spelling of the surnames.

Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks

Wes

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: Joseph Moore (Moor) William Moore/Rosie Macarthy

Post by gnstill » Fri May 11, 2012 2:11 pm

Welcome to the Forum Wes!

Looks like Joseph Ernest MOORE b-1891 who married Louisa McDONALD. Check it out at the following Link and get back to me:
JOHN ROBERT MOORE (1862-1937)

WDC

Post by WDC » Fri May 11, 2012 4:53 pm

Hi Gary, and thank you for the welcome!

Thanks for the link, but this is not him, unless I missed something in the link.

Joseph married Etta Pearl Bell in 1915. I am also looking for information on Etta and her family. She apparently was born in Ontario (Guelph?) to John and Eliza
Bell nee Dunkell. The family moved to Neepawa (year?) where her father farmed. Etta or Pearl (as she preferred to be called by) was born in 1889.

Joseph listed his father, William Moore, as a carpenter.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri May 11, 2012 9:22 pm

That’s a real puzzler!!

I have the Attestation records for both your Joseph MOORE who enlisted at Winnipeg in 1916 as well as that of Joseph Ernest MOORE who enlisted at Winnipeg in 1918. The similarities are so strikingly similar that they almost have to be the same person, Their birthdates, physical descriptions, etc are virtually the same.

If you could tell me more about your parents I have a feeling I could figure this one out. My mother-in-law (Irene, married to Ventrice THOMAS) was adopted and raised by John Robert MOORE.

WDC

Post by WDC » Sat May 12, 2012 9:59 am

Yes, it is a puzzle.

I think though, that the Joseph Moor papers are the correct one because on the papers he lists himself as married (JEM is single) and his wife as Helta Pearl Bell Moor. Since he married Etta Pearl Bell, this is the most telling bit saying this is my grandfather. The only things that are out are Helta and Moor (recruiter mistakes?). On all other documentation, though, everything is spelled correctly, ie. Etta instead of Helta and Moore instead of Moor. Why he signed Moor on the Attestation papers is a mystery. Also the birth year is different between the papers, and the grave stone. His obit says he passed away at age 39 in 1929 and his death cert. does not list a DOB, but says he is 39 (I think the info must have come from his wife Etta), so perhaps this is why the date on the stone is 1890 instead of 1891.

Joseph is buried in the Field of Honor section. His grave stone stated: PTE Joseph Moore, 1890 - 1929, 223rd Battalion (Joseph Moor's Attestation says 223rd Battalion).

His death certificate lists Joseph as being Scottish and his father - William Moore's birthplace as Scotland.

I now need to track down his parents as he lists them on the marriage cert - William Moore and Rosie Macarthy.

So far I have had no success in tracking down Etta's parents either. I still have to join the MB Genealogy Assoc. to check Neepawa out for her parents. I have not been able to locate them so far (on-line) in Ontario (where they are said to have come from) or in Manitoba.

Joseph and Etta had four daughters, one of which was my mother.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat May 12, 2012 6:16 pm

Etta Pearl was the daughter of Eliza Ellen (born on Ontario) & John Wesley BELL, born about 1856 in England. I found the family at Neepawa in the Censuses of 1906 and 1911. Etta was born in July, 1894. She had a brother named Wesley Roy BELL born Dec, 1895.

Does this ring any bells? I have more info as well.

WDC

Post by WDC » Wed May 16, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks for that info and yes it does ring some BELLS' ;)

I just tracked down some information as well. Both are from Huron County - Goderich.

Between the 1906 and 1911 censuses there is some confusing information regarding dates and names of their children and I am unable to locate a marriage record or death record for John W and Eliza Bell nee Dunkeld in Manitoba or Ontario vital statistics (on-line). In 1906 John and Eliza are in the Portage La Prairie area - most likely close to Neepawa. He is listed as a farmer from England and Eliza is Scottish but born in Ontario (unable to find a birth record though). The children are listed as Etta Pearl and Wesley Roy Bell (age 12 for Etta and 10 for Wesley). But in the 1911 census there is an Ethel P Bell born 1894 living with John, eliza and Wesley, and there is an Etta Moore found in Winnipeg with a BD of 1889 (which is on her tombstone and death certificate). On her marriage cert in 1915 she says her age is 21 which would place her birth year as 1894 (same as Ethel). Wesley Roy Bell passed away in 1972 in Vancouver, he was listed as single, and had worked as a Gardener in Victoria in the 1949 Hendersons Directory. I do not know the date he arrived there or anything else about him (unable to find an obit).

Yes, I would be interested in any information you could provide regarding the Bell Family and Joseph Moore and famliy.

Thanks!

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed May 16, 2012 7:36 pm

Yes, those are the 1906 and 1911 census records I was referring to in my last posting. In the 1916 Census they were enumerated on Seventh Street in Neepawa: John BELL, age 64 (born c1852 in England; immigrated 1808); wife Ellen, age 52 (born c1864 in Ontario).

Vital Stats indicates that John BELL died Apr 13, 1929 in West St Paul (Middlechurch), MB, age 76, and Eliza Ellen BELL died same place on Nov 24, 1931, age 76.

I am almost certain now that your Joseph MOORE was not born in St Peters, but rather in St Pierre-Jolys (south of Wpg), and he was a son of Rosalie MERCREDI (NOT MACARTHY) and William MOORE (1853-1909) who was born in the Orkneys of Scotland. I have lots of information on that family too.

WDC

Post by WDC » Wed May 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Gary that's great! How do you do it. I find myself becoming stalled right now.

Would you please provide me with the link to the page for the 1916 census.
How did you determine where the enumeration took place?

When was John Bell's immigration year, as 1808 does not seem right when compared to his DOB. Could you provide me with the link to view this information?

This is news, because on Joseph Moore's Attestation Papers, he indicated St Peter. Why do you think the following is actually the case, and could you also provide me with the link to the "I am almost certain now that your Joseph MOORE was not born in St Peters, but rather in St Pierre-Jolys (south of Wpg), and he was a son of Rosalie MERCREDI (NOT MACARTHY) and William MOORE (1853-1909) who was born in the Orkneys of Scotland". I would really like to take a look at it.

Any information on either of the family's Bell and Moore - William Moore and family - from the Orkneys is much appreciated. As I mentioned, I am kind of getting stalled right now.

Thanks so much for helping me out!

Wes

WDC

Post by WDC » Wed May 16, 2012 9:45 pm

PS. Just checked Vital Statistics. I am not sure Bell, Ellan and Bell nee Dunkeld, Ellen are the same person.

On the marriage cert. the name Macarthy is slightly illegible, but I think this is the spelling - Rosie Macarthy.