Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

Lorraine Violet Sinclair born 1931 Selkirk Mb

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
nickelday2

Lorraine Violet Sinclair born 1931 Selkirk Mb

Post by nickelday2 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:59 am

Hello: I am an adoptee born in Winnipeg Sept 21, 1949. Finally Post Adoption Registry has opened their records in MB and I have a copy of my birth certificate. My birth mother, Lorraine Violet Sinclair was 18yrs old when she had me. She was a single mom living at 97 Aikins Rd Wpg.MB. I cannot find that address now from Google Map but in its place is the Women's Aboriginal Ctre.. I have had my genealogy done at St Boniface Historical Society via The Mb. Metis Society. I have now learned my mom was Metis and I am now receiving my Metis citizenship card. Unfortunately I have been advised my birth mom passes away in 2005 in B.C. My quest is to visit her grave before I leave this earth. I have always been close and interested in indigenous culture and art. If anyone can assist me in this journey I would be most grateful. I have registered also with ancestry.ca
Thank you
My birth name : Penny Marlene Sinclair
My current name: Penny Louise McClure (nee) Knight

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: Lorraine Violet Sinclair born 1931 Selkirk Mb

Post by gnstill » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi Penny! A few more clues would be helpful.
Did your mother ever marry?
Was her name SINCLAIR when she passed away?
Your current name Penney Louise McClure (nee) Knight – If you were born SINCLAIR, what was the nee - McClure or Knight?
Do you have siblings - who were they?

nickelday2

Post by nickelday2 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:16 pm

That is my challenge. The ONLY info on my mom is my birth certificate from MB Post adoption registry. The info reveals her name and age ... Lorraine Violet Sinclair 18yrs. Calculating this as I was born in 1949 would make her born in 1931. I do no know if she ever married so that is what is causing the challenge. She apparently was Metis as I am now receiving my Metis citizenship card based on a genealogy report done for me. Another letter sent by Mb adoption registry indicated my mother passed in 2005 in British Columbia. I also was informed by them that I have a paternal sister raised by her mother... My father does not want contact. I have checked the voters list from 1965 from Selkirk Mb for which ... I believe my Mom voted as she was designated a spinster (single) .

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:28 am

Penny: I still don’t understand the McCLURE and KNIGHT parts of your name. Please explain.

nickelday2

Post by nickelday2 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:14 am

Knight is my maiden adoptee surname. McClure is my now married name of I have since been widowed.

Penny Marlene Sinclair.... My birth name

Penny Louise Knight..... My name my adopted parents registered me..

nickelday2

Post by nickelday2 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:02 am

Well...again it has been continuing journey in search of my birth mother Lorraine Violet Sinclair. Since my last post, I have received my Metis Citenship card from the Manitoba Metis Federation. I have now began a further search for my birth mothers grave. I DO know she died in 2005 and recently obtained from archives that there was. Lorraine Violet Sinclair who died on March 10, 2005 in Selkirk Mb or in the nearby region. I have read thru the Sinclair postings on this site and it would appear that many of the ancestors were of aboriginal race. If anyone of the Sinclairs on this site have more info..I would be most grateful. I am currently living in Victoria BC. It was relayed that my birth mother died in BC but it seems too coincidental that a Lorraine Violet Sinclair died March 10,2005 in Selkirk at the age of 73 yrs.?

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:21 pm

Penny – you indicated that you know who your father is. Can you reveal more clues about his family name and/or origins?
Where did you get information about your mother died in Selkirk, age 73?

merrilyiam

Post by merrilyiam » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:00 pm

Gary, I was reading the posts from nickleday2, & wondering how she would receive her Metis card, if she didn't have more info., in regards to her lineage on her Mother's family. The M.M.F., would need this in order to issue a card.
Merrily

nickelday2

Post by nickelday2 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:45 am

Gary,
After the Post Adoption Registry opened their records to adoptees, they plus St. Boniface Historical Society and MMF worked together on my behalf to complete my genealogy report. That report was not physically given to me but is now kept with MMF. After several months it was established that one of my ancestors indeed was of Metis heritage. In 2011, I received a letter from Mb. Family Services and Housing disclosing that my birth father could not be located but that I had a paternal biological sister. They also disclosed (regrettably, they did not suggest a possibility of a reunion. The letter also disclosed that they passed along sincere regrets that my birth mother had passed away in 2005 in British Columbia. I have done several searches for B.C. on many sites with no avail, however, there was one hit in Mb. for a Lorraine Violet Sinclair in Mb 2005 as I have indicated. I am continuing my search via archive records here thru the library and the museum.
PS. I do have in my possession ... the Official Notice of Living Birth (my birth certificate ) which indicates my birth mothers full name and her place of birth. She was 18 yrs old and single. According due to the address of the birth place it was Grace hospital at 97 Aikens St Wpg. That address is no longer on google maps but in its place is the Aboriginal Centre for Native Women.
Regards
nickelday2 Hope this answers Merrillys questions also

MARYWHEAT

Post by MARYWHEAT » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:05 pm

I am helping my Grandchildren to put together a family history of their Sinclair line.
I would be very interested in sharing information regarding Lorraine Violet (or Alvina) Sinclair - married name Whitesel.I am inFort St John, BC.