Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

GEORGE SETTER (1816-1899)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

GEORGE SETTER (1816-1899)

Post by gnstill » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:34 pm

New Family Page: GEORGE SETTER (1816-1899)

Please post comments and queries about George SETTER and his family here.

dwlowe

Re: GEORGE SETTER (1816-1899)

Post by dwlowe » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:22 pm

Have been compiling a Setter genealogy for a cousin who is a granddaughter of Colin Campbell Setter and Jemima Hourie. I was almost completely stumped looking for a death date for Jemima Hourie until I found an actual obituary for her via newspaperarchives.com Here it is:
13 Nov 1950, Winnipeg Free Press
Mrs. C. C. SETTER
PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE, Man.--
Mrs. Jemima Setter, 93, pioneer resident of the Portage district and widow of Colin Campbell Setter, died here Thursday and the home of her daughter, Mrs. Howard Weller. Born in Old Kildonan, she was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Philip Hourie. In 1877 she married Colin Setter and the couple farmed at High Bluff, Man. They later moved to St. Marks. Since the death of her husband in 1935, Mrs. Setter had lived with her daughter, Mrs. Weller. Survivors are four sons, Duncan and Percy of Portage la Prairie, Alex of Monomento, Man., and George of Hamilton, Ont.; four daughters, Mrs. Weller, Portage, Mrs. Fred Anderson of St. Laurent, Man., Mrs. Fred Broadribb of Edmonton, Alta., and Mrs. Reg Fitzgerald of Robinson, B.C. Funeral service was held Monday at 2 p.m at the Pentecostal chruch with burial in Hillside cemetery, McKillop's funeral home were in charge of arrangements.

Also found a news notice for the funeral:
16 Nov 1950, The Manitoba Leader
Funeral Held for Mrs. Jemima Setter
A largely attended funeral for Mrs. Jemima Setter, who died Thursday, was held Monday at 2 p.m. from the Pentecostal Church. Pastor V. M. Taylor officiated. The funeral was directed by McKillop's Funeral Home.
Pallbearers were three sons Duncan, Percy, and George Setter, Howard Weller, Joseph Howie, and Jack Howie.

Obituary for her mother Jessie (Campbell)
2 Oct 1922, Winnipeg Free Press
MRS. SETTER DEAD
Manitoba Old Timer Passes Away at Age of 86 at High Bluff
Portage la Prairie, Man., Oct. 21-- The death took place today at the residence of Mack Setter, of High Bluff, of his mother, Mrs. Jessie Setter, aged 86. Mrs. Setter was a life-long resident of Manitoba being born in the province. For the last 20 years she made her home with her son at High Bluff. She is survived by three sons, Mack, of High Bluff, Colin, of Edmonton, and Alexander, of Saskatchewan, and two brothers, Arthur Campbell, of Poplar Point, and John, of Oregon. The funeral will take place tomorrow, with interment in High Bluff cemetery.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:05 pm

Thanks very Much! Is there a first name I could refer to you as?

Please let me know how I can access that newspaper archives you mentioned.

Regarding Obit for Jessie CAMPBELL-SETTER: This obit appears erratic. In the 1911 census Jessie was recorded with her son Mackenzie (Mac) as aged 90. If she died in 1922 she would have to have been about 101 years old! Mac SETTER is again recorded in the census of 1916, and Jessie is no longer with him. This all supports the 1912 death date.

dwlowe

Post by dwlowe » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:15 pm

www.newspaperarchives.com is a (paid) subscription site, I can go back in and download the page as a pdf. How can I get that to you? I don't see a FIRST name for you either!
Don

dwlowe

Post by dwlowe » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:21 pm

I also found out a long time ago not to trust birth information from census records. The 1901 Census shows her birthdate as 12 Aug 1924 and the obit says she died at age 86. That's quite a bit better match. Sometimes those 1901 Census birthdates are "spot on" and other times they are completely out to lunch!
Don

dwlowe

Post by dwlowe » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:23 pm

Just re-read it all and see I'm completely out to lunch, not an uncommon thing at my age.....! Will go back to the newspaper and see if something is in error there.

dwlowe

Post by dwlowe » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:30 pm

Have the article, I typo'd the header, it was published 22 Oct 1912, not 1922. Can still email it to you if you'd like to see it.

Don

dwlowe

Post by dwlowe » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:35 pm

Found another obit, this for Jemima (Hourie) Setter's father Philip:
10 Jun 1914, Winnipeg Free Press
Portage Old Timer Dead.
Portage la Prairie, June 9. -- The death took place this morning at his farm house at High Bluff, of Philip Hourie, one of the oldest pioneers of the district, after an Illness extending but three weeks, death being caused by trouble incident to old age. Mr. Hourie was 81 years of age. He was born in Canada and came to the High Bluff district nearly 30 years ago, Since which time he has successfully farmed. He is survived by a widow, five sons and three daughters, they being Joseph, Andrew, Archie, John and Philip, and Mrs. E. Mllburn, Mrs. H. Jackson and Mrs. Colin Setter, all of High Bluff.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:19 am

Thanks again Don: I have quite a bit of information about the Colin Campbell SETTER family and could probably work with you to feature a Page for him. I am planning to do a Page for Colin CAMPBELL soon, because he is an ancestor of my sister-in-law. However, I’ve been pretty busy lately and I have a priority list for doing these Family Pages.

I’m Gary Still, moderator of this website. You can read more about me and about Special Family Pages at the Home Page; here’s the link: RED RIVER ANCESTRY HOME PAGE
Gary

dwlowe

Post by dwlowe » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:03 am

Hi Gary - I'm not really interested myself in spending much more time on the Setter family research as they have no blood connection to me. I do appreciate all that was available to find here though. I have lots to do on my own 12 or more related family trees! Any way we can connect off the page? Your wife must be a very close cousin to my mother's cousin. Since she is very much alive I won't post anything about her here. I did want to ask if you might have Viola Blanche Dahl connected to the wrong George William Setter? By the marriage date, GW would have been 60 when they married, but I found a death date for him in his teens in other family trees on Ancestry.ca. I thought it was more likely she married the GW that is CC Setter's son? Though there was no source to check, I found her married to that one in trees on Ancestry. I've also collected info on Jessie Ellen Campbell's ancestry going back to 1700's in New York.
Don