Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

DAVID SPENCE (1824-1885)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin
Posts: 2247
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:12 pm

DAVID SPENCE (1824-1885)

Post by gnstill » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:49 am

New Family Page: DAVID SPENCE (1824-1885)

Please post comments and queries about David SPENCE and his family here.

pmonty1
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:20 pm

Re: DAVID SPENCE (1824-1885)

Post by pmonty1 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:29 pm

Hello fellow Spence decendant

My name is Paula Montgomery and I am from a line of Spences that branched out into Riggs, then Wood, then my mother's married name Montgomery.

My aunt Joan Riggs traced our family back to David who was the son of James Spence and Jane Morwick. I have an old photo of David and his wife and wanted to know more about them. In the photo his wife (my great great Grandmother) looks first nations, but I don't know much about her...Also of interest is that David Spence is listed as being Metis. Would you know where this came from? Or what tribe his mother or grandmother would have been from?

What is your lineage? We could be related!

looking forward to hearing from you,
warmth
Paula

gnstill
Site Admin
Posts: 2247
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: DAVID SPENCE (1824-1885)

Post by gnstill » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:31 pm

Welcome to the Forum Paula!
You must have missed the link to David’s parents
, Jane (nee MORWICK) NORQUAY and James SPENCE (1778-1857). She was indeed a Metis as explained there, Just click on this link: JAMES SPENCE (1778-1857)

Links to other related people are similarly underlined in red – just click on them to see MORE ABOUT them, and wherever possible post your comments under the Forum Topic most closely related to the topic person.

Regarding picture of David and his wife (Catherine HALLETT): As you can see, I only have a picture of David and would love to be able to add that picture of the two of them. I can do that if you send me the scanned picture via Email.
Regards - Gary

artuck1
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:51 pm

Re: DAVID SPENCE (1824-1885)

Post by artuck1 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:53 pm

Hello,
(Long lost cousin, Paula..lol)
Well, where to start? Here is my line... James Andrew Spence and Margaret Batt (Metis), their son James was eventually married to a widow, Jane Morwick, and together they gave birth to David. David was married to Catherine Hallett (also Metis). David's daughter Mary (Ann) Spence, was married to Ernest Chas Riggs, son of Harmon M. Riggs and Amelie M. Williams, who my dad said descended from a gentleman names Rev. Chas Spencer (but not sure), and their daughter Elsie (Married to James Murray in Portage la Prairie April 26, 1922)was my great grandmother. Interestingly, On Ernest's and Mary-Ann's Certificate of Marriage (Sept 11, 1887), Mary Ann has her mother listed as Harriet, who is her sister. It appears that this is the year that David was widowed, as Catherine is listed on her birth certificate.

I should be able to locate pictures of Elsie, I wonder if there are any around of her with her mother?
Unfortunately much of that has gone missing over the years.
Out of curiosity, I see some parallels in stories about Thomas Spence and David Spence. Any relation that we can see?
Thanks
Angie

artuck1
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:51 pm

Re: DAVID SPENCE (1824-1885)

Post by artuck1 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:21 am

Oh yeah,
David's mother Jane was Métis. And David's wife Catherine was ALSO Métis. I believe that they were both of Cree descent.
This family line has been verified through the Métis Federation :)
That's all I know about that, though, because the mothers names are always 'unknown Cree woman'. It wasn't uncommon for people who worked in the fur trade to intermarry 'a marriage a la facon du pays' (country marriages), first with indigenous, and then Métis. Sadly the European women took reign when they started to come to Canada to settle, and many men actually left their Cree/Sioux/Salteaux wives in the prairies to take up with Western women. The product of roughly 200 years of intermarriage left a whole lot of métis roots in Manitoba!
Can I have a copy if that picture with David and his wife???
That's awesome!!
Angie

gnstill
Site Admin
Posts: 2247
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: DAVID SPENCE (1824-1885)

Post by gnstill » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:06 am

I have lots of information about the RIGGS family. I could work with someone to feature a Family Page for them.
** MORE ABOUT SPECIAL FAMILY PAGES

pmonty1
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:20 pm

Re: DAVID SPENCE (1824-1885)

Post by pmonty1 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:35 am

artuck1 wrote:Oh yeah,
David's mother Jane was Métis. And David's wife Catherine was ALSO Métis. I believe that they were both of Cree descent.
This family line has been verified through the Métis Federation :)
That's all I know about that, though, because the mothers names are always 'unknown Cree woman'. It wasn't uncommon for people who worked in the fur trade to intermarry 'a marriage a la facon du pays' (country marriages), first with indigenous, and then Métis. Sadly the European women took reign when they started to come to Canada to settle, and many men actually left their Cree/Sioux/Salteaux wives in the prairies to take up with Western women. The product of roughly 200 years of intermarriage left a whole lot of métis roots in Manitoba!
Can I have a copy if that picture with David and his wife???
That's awesome!!
Angie
Hello Angie

Im sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to you all! Life became super busy and now I am back on the family tree trail. How do I post the photo here that I have of David Spence and Catherine?

Paula

pmonty1
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:20 pm

Re: DAVID SPENCE (1824-1885)

Post by pmonty1 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:59 am

gnstill wrote:Welcome to the Forum Paula!
You must have missed the link to David’s parents
, Jane (nee MORWICK) NORQUAY and James SPENCE (1778-1857). She was indeed a Metis as explained there, Just click on this link: JAMES SPENCE (1778-1857)

Links to other related people are similarly underlined in red – just click on them to see MORE ABOUT them, and wherever possible post your comments under the Forum Topic most closely related to the topic person.

Regarding picture of David and his wife (Catherine HALLETT): As you can see, I only have a picture of David and would love to be able to add that picture of the two of them. I can do that if you send me the scanned picture via Email.
Regards - Gary
Hello Gary

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you, live has been very busy! Where can I sent the photo to?

cheers
Paula

pmonty1
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:20 pm

Re: DAVID SPENCE (1824-1885)

Post by pmonty1 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:02 am

artuck1 wrote:Hello,
(Long lost cousin, Paula..lol)
Well, where to start? Here is my line... James Andrew Spence and Margaret Batt (Metis), their son James was eventually married to a widow, Jane Morwick, and together they gave birth to David. David was married to Catherine Hallett (also Metis). David's daughter Mary (Ann) Spence, was married to Ernest Chas Riggs, son of Harmon M. Riggs and Amelie M. Williams, who my dad said descended from a gentleman names Rev. Chas Spencer (but not sure), and their daughter Elsie (Married to James Murray in Portage la Prairie April 26, 1922)was my great grandmother. Interestingly, On Ernest's and Mary-Ann's Certificate of Marriage (Sept 11, 1887), Mary Ann has her mother listed as Harriet, who is her sister. It appears that this is the year that David was widowed, as Catherine is listed on her birth certificate.

I should be able to locate pictures of Elsie, I wonder if there are any around of her with her mother?
Unfortunately much of that has gone missing over the years.
Out of curiosity, I see some parallels in stories about Thomas Spence and David Spence. Any relation that we can see?
Thanks
Angie

hello again Angie

It's interesting that you mention Ernest Charles Riggs because that was my Great Grandfather. My Grandmother Pearl Riggs was his oldest daughter, and she married a man named Lorrie Wood and became Pearl Wood. She had 8 children, one of which was my mother.

Small world eh!

Paula

gnstill
Site Admin
Posts: 2247
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: DAVID SPENCE (1824-1885)

Post by gnstill » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:35 am

Photos can be sent to me as Email attachments to: gary@gnstill.com
If suitable I will add them to the narrative.
Regards, Gary

Post Reply