Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

WHITE BEAR aka TURNER (1780-1844)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

WHITE BEAR aka TURNER (1780-1844)

Post by gnstill » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:48 am

New Family Page: WHITE BEAR aka TURNER (1780-1844)

Please post comments and queries about this family hereunder.

shaz69

Re: WHITE BEAR aka TURNER (1780-1844)

Post by shaz69 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:31 pm

Thankyou for your posting on White Bear & Sally Wapisk. I find it very interesting reading as one story in particular that my grandmother told me makes abit more sence now.
My grandmother who comes down from Sally Wapisk via her daughter Isabella Sutherland has always said she has a indian princess in the family. Which would make sence if indeed Sally Wapisk is White Bears daughter (as he was a cheif).
I have no idea how she came about this information I can only guess it was passed down from generation to generation.
If any one can verify this or add any more info it would be greatly appreciated.
shaz69 in Australia

shaz69

Post by shaz69 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:48 pm

I have found during my searching of my grandmothers things that she had a rough hand written family tree & has Sally Wapisk being born in 1790 & died in 1865. I don't know if this can be varified however it may help someone in there search.
cheers shaz69

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:41 am

Welcome to the Forum Shaz!
Thanks very much for that. It could be considered as documented information. The dates certainly are plausible given the other information we have.

MIEGUNYAH

Post by MIEGUNYAH » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:31 pm

I am descended from Sally Wapisk (Wapusk) and Donald Sutherland. I have some research notes about Wapusk and his sons trading with the HBC. I have followed his tracks and found the Wapusk famiy were in the same area as Donald Sutherland for Sally's first child to have been conceived in 1815. I have the names of a couple of Wapusk's sons, also HBC Indian traders, but their names are Indian names, not English names, so I can't cross check with the Bear names listed in your notes, also these sons were traders in 1815 so would be older than
Sally and you have her as the eldest in Wapusk's family. What evidence can be found to confirm Sally is part of the Bear family and does anyone know what happened to her as she didn't go to Scotland. Does anyone have any information of a personal nature about Sally and Donald as a family in North America. Is this covered in William Asham's 'History of my Ancestors', which I will try to get from HBC Archives but this will take time. To confuse the issue, I believe there was another Wapusk, Wapusk Ethine. I would be most grateful for any nfomation you can share, Miegunyah

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:32 pm

Welcome to the Forum Miegunyah!
As a first time member, if you haven’t already done so, I recommend you visit the Home Page for more information about me and about how to navigate this website. Here’s the Link: HOME PAGE

Regarding Donald SUTHERLAND:
I have quite a bit of information on Donald SUTHERLAND. If I can find the time, I will create a family page for him and his family. I am quite busy at the present time, but will get to it just as soon as I can.

Regarding William ASHAM: I have a copy of ASHAM’s ‘History of my Ancestors’. I have already included pretty well all of the pertinent information from that article that relates to WHITE BEAR.

Are you by any chance Pam JARRETT, or do you know her? While surfing the Web, I came across several queries by her that are very similar to your own.
Regards, Gary

MIEGUNYAH

Post by MIEGUNYAH » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:48 pm

Gary, I'm not good at navigating online sites. Even when I look at your home page, I'm lost. Help. Yes I am Pam. I have Donald's journals and other papers from HBC so his service is well covered and I knew his descendants took the name of Bear. I'm now trying to weave your Bear family information into what I have and it's at times not adding up, especially about Wapusk's sons as hunters in and before 1815, Papathikish for one (ref. James Isham I think), yet you have Sally as the eldest born 1800. Who then is Wapusk, is he John Turner? I accept he is a metis. I hope you can find the time to do a family profile for him. It is very important to me. Can I corres with you offline? Many thanks.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:45 pm

I have started a page for Donald. Here's the link: DONALD SUTHERLAND (1779-1888)

From now on, please post your comments & queries about Sally & Donald at this link: FORUM DISCUSSING SALLY & DONALD SUTHERLAND

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:43 am

MIEGUNYAH (Pam) posted this under the Topic PHILIP TURNOR (1751-1779): I am descended from WHITE BEAR, by way of his daughter Sally WAPISK who 'married' HBC man Donald SUTHERLAND. I am a bit confused as WHITE BEAR's birth is given as c1780, yet Sally his daughter's birth is given as c1790. This was changed from c1800 which in my mind was more like it as her first born was in about 1815, a likely time for a young indian girl to give birth. Sally and Donald had four children, all of whom he took home to Scotland. I don't know what happened to Sally and I would like to hear from anyone who does know. Are there any descendants out there from WHITE BEAR? I would like to hear from any descendant of this line. MIEGUNYAH

My Comments: There is no documented information (no solid evidence) regarding the birth dates of either WHITE BEAR or of Sally WAPISK, so your guess (and your reasoning) is probably as good as anyone’s. Until solid evidence is presented, it is perhaps rather futile and irrelevant to debate that question. Regarding what happened to Sally WAPISK, I too would like to hear more about her, preferably under FORUM DISCUSSING SALLY & DONALD SUTHERLAND. The link to that discussion is shown in the preceding posting above

MIEGUNYAH

Post by MIEGUNYAH » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. As White Bear had other children than Sally Wapisk, I would like to hear from any descendant from his other children. Also sorry, when you say Miegunyah and 2 others are on line, how do I handle this? There are codes in a box to the lower left etc. which I don't understand, Miegunyah