Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

Joseph Moore (Moor) William Moore/Rosie Macarthy

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

Re: Joseph Moore (Moor) William Moore/Rosie Macarthy

Post by gnstill » Thu May 17, 2012 5:23 am

Sorry Wes - My mistake; I double-checked that 1816 census record regarding John BELL, because you are right, 1808 doesn't agree with other records. The handwritten record is hard to read and after a second look it does indeed look more like 1858. Such errors often appear in census records. The 1906 record indicates he immigrated in 1860 and the 1911 census indicates he immigrated in 1856. This information presumably was given to the enumerator from John himself, and perhaps he couldn't recall for certain what year it was.

These are other examples of misinterpretation of poor handwriting as might be the case regarding Rosie MERCREDI - MACRAY. Regarding her and William MOORE, I will have to review my own information to offer you an explanation, but I've been very busy lately and will have to get back to you in a few days.

WDC

Post by WDC » Thu May 17, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks Gary.

I know what you mean by some of this stuff being hard to read. They should have printed - neatly.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri May 18, 2012 4:03 pm

Wes: - Etta BELL & Joseph MOORE (1891-1921) had two daughters who married sons of Juliana MAHRT & Frank MILLER (born 1878 in Hamurg, Germany). In case you don’t want to reveal your own identity, I won’t mention their names, but I believe one of them was probably your father. Do you have a relative, perhaps a cousin, named Greg?

The reason I’m bringing this up is that by poking around on the internet I discovered that this Greg has information that supports my contention regarding Rosalie MERCREDI & William MOORE (1891-1929) as Joseph’s parents.
Gary

WDC

Post by WDC » Fri May 18, 2012 8:03 pm

Gary,

I know there is a Miller, but in all else, it would seem to be new territory to me. I am not sure if there is a Greg in my family line on my mother's side, as there were four sisters, and I do not know all of their children's names. I think some of this took place either before I was born or shortly thereafter.

My grandfather Joseph Moore passed away in 1929, so it would seem that the Joseph Moore you mention and who passed away in 1921 are not the same person.

I am pretty sure that neither of those two sons were my father, but if I am mistaken, and I think that would be a very big if, then my full name would be on here, no biggie I guess...unless you would rather do this via email?

Thanks

Wes

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat May 19, 2012 10:08 am

Wes:- Too often people try to trace their ancestry by focusing on a remote or ancient ancestor and then attempting to work their way forward in time.

The proper way is to first establish your most recent maternal and paternal ancestors and then work your way back in time. I guess that is why it would be helpful to know more about your maternal parents’ or grandparents’ (at least some clues such as their surnames, dates, places, etc).

By the way, that 1921 death date I gave was another goof-up (typo) on my part. It is indeed Nov 15, 1929 as you stated (also supported in Vital Stats)

WDC

Post by WDC » Sat May 19, 2012 8:55 pm

Yes Gary, I understand that. Since I am doing my mother's side of the family, I started with my mother Elsie Pearl Moore, then tracked down her parents - Joseph Moore and Etta Pearl Moore nee Bell. They had four daughters - Phyllis Margaret Moore, Kathleen Edna Moore, Dorothy Moore (middle name unknown to me), and my mother Elsie Pearl Moore. I then tracked down Etta's parents -John W Bell and Eliza Ellen Bell nee Dunkeld. I think I have found Eliza's father - William Dunkeld who I believe was widowed. William Dunkeld is from Scotland (which part?), who was his wife? As I mentioned before, Etta has two different birth dates - 1894 and 1889, and then there is a mention of an Ethel P Bell in the 1911 census, with an Etta Moore DOB 1889 appearing in Winnipeg in the same census.

I have very little for Joseph Moore and would like to know more such as who are his parents and their parents, his and their birth place (Attestation papers for Joseph say St Peter for the birth place), etc.

I would also like to know more about John W Bell. I know he says he was from England and he gives two immigration dates on two different censuses. Which part of England did he come from, where are John and Eliza buried, when did they pass away, who were John's parents, etc.?

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon May 21, 2012 11:50 am

I have just posted a Family Page for Joseph which contains most of the information I have gathered to this point. Here's the Link: JOSEPH MOORE (1891-1929)

I have also set up a Forum Topic for discussions about that particular family (the Link is at the bottom of the Family Page. Please post further discussions about that family thereunder.

I plan to also post a page for Rosalie & William MOORE in the next day or so.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue May 22, 2012 9:02 pm

I have just posted a new Family Page for William. Here's the Link:
WILLIAM MOORE (1853-1909)