Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

WHITE BEAR aka TURNER (1780-1844)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
MIEGUNYAH

Re: WHITE BEAR aka TURNER (1780-1844)

Post by MIEGUNYAH » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:17 pm

Mitakuye Oyasin. re your post Kennedy/Thomas and the White Bear family. I am descended from Donald Sutherland from Brora, Clyne, (1778-1872) and am desperately looking to make contact with anyone who has information about White Bear's early history and any stories of his descendants, particularly his daughter, Sally Wapusk (seen also as Wapisk). Gary has kindly gathered quite a bit about the family but Sally herself is illusive. I live in Australia. My email is pamlenja@bigpond.net.au I would dearly love to hear from you, Pam

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:32 am

New Page of WHITE BEAR DESCENDANTS at this link:
MARY BEAR and WILLIAM WALLACK TAIT / TATE (1792-1878)

White Bear

Post by White Bear » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:54 am

Tansi, Boozhoo, Hau

My name is Jason White Bear and I come from the White Bear First Nation located in south eastern Saskatchewan.(TREATY 2 Territotry) Over the years I have always wondered where my clan came from and who Chief White Bear was. I carry the last name, but somewhere along the way my people forgot the oral history. in my community there was Saulteaux, Cree and Assiniboine and maybe some Michief spoken. My Mushum's name was Leslie White Bear, son of Mary White Bear. and that about as far as i can research back in my own community. I welcome any comments or connections with the larger BEAR clan, I'm not sure where this will lead me but in the end at least I will be able to better communicate our past to our young people. here is a link to a 1901 Census http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/Su ... 3&letter=W where i found the names of White Bear aged 55, Aggatha White Bear age 14, Francis White Bear age 17 and Mrs White Bear age 50. I look forward to meeting and connecting with anyone. as my journey has led me all the way to the Great White Bear forest, Allumette island, and Fort Colounge.

MIEGUNYAH

Post by MIEGUNYAH » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:55 pm

Jason, I am descended from, Wapusk, White Bear, from his daughter Sally, who I believe was the daughter of an earlier wife than the one who bore Mary Bear, wife of William Tait. Garry has put a link to the Tait's descendants. Donald Sutherland (HBC) and Sally had four metis children, the youngest was my great grandmother and she is buried in Queensland, Australia. I have a photo of her. As I live in Australia, it is difficult to do in-depth research into the family of White Bear. The names, Aggatha and Francis, fit with early family names. I'm sure there are many many descendants in Canada who would know more than I do, but I have gathered a little over the years. My email is pamlenja@bigpond.net.au I would be interested to share and to learn more from you about your connection to the White Bear family. Regards Pam

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:53 am

That’s a tough one Jason! BEAR and WHITE BEAR are fairly common native names and very difficult to trace because native people didn’t use the traditional European system of surnames.
When and where was your grandfather Leslie born?

BarryDurie

Post by BarryDurie » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:56 pm

Gary: You show Margaret Bear (Born 1800) as a daughter of White Bear, and married to Alexander Kennedy. On the Philip Turnor page, you show her as his daughter, born 1785, and married to Alexander Kennedy. Both pages direct you to the same Alexander Kennedy family. Which one is the father of Margaret Aggatha Bear?? Regards...........Barry.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:40 am

Barry: Note the question mark (?) preceding Margaret BEAR on this WHITE BEAR Page. Then note my comments under the paragraph heading “Marriage to A-KEE-NA-SOM” which explains the uncertainty of Margaret’s parentage (I’ve changed it to green text so it will stand out). Her true parents are unproven at this time, unfortunately.

Ankkania

Post by Ankkania » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:29 pm

Would you happen to know the name of Thomas Humphryville's mother?
She is my 5th great grandmother and the only mention of her I can find is
"Woman from Cree Nation Miss Constant" even when searching records of his father Edward,
his mother's name is never mentioned as anything but Cree Woman miss Constant...
I am descended from Thomas and Hannah "annie" Turner's son John.

John married Mary Brass,
their son Peter Umpherville married
Catherine (Katherine) Jourdain
Peter and Kat's daughter Bella Marjorie Umpherville
married Morton (Martin) Johnson.
The daughter of Bella and Martin was my Grandma who died a few years ago.

I have been trying to find out my 5th great grandmothers name for ages

email me if you can fill in that blank please. Or anything to do with that part of my family history which from your posts you also share that ancestor.
Ankkaniadyi@gmail.com

MIEGUNYAH

Post by MIEGUNYAH » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:20 am

It's been such a long time since I researched the family and I have changed computers since then, hence I've lost a lot of data. I was in touch with the Humpervilles at one stage. Give me time and I'll search what I have and get back to you. regards Pam. I live in Australia. Contact email pamlenja@bigpond.net.au

Shalldorsson90

Post by Shalldorsson90 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:33 pm

Hello, I am new here but I am a fellow decendant of White Bear. He was my 6th Great Grandfather on my mothers side. Mary Bear and William Wallack Tait were my 5th Great Grandparents. Just want to say Hello to everyone!!! :D